Convolution proof where f=g=1/(1+x^2)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving two equations and using the convolution theorem to show that the left and right hand sides are equal. The main focus is on evaluating the integral on the left hand side and using strategies such as Laplace and Fourier transforms, partial fractions, and polynomial integration. However, there was some confusion about the notation and the need for convolution on both sides.
polpol
So I am looking for some insight one how I might go about solving this problem.

I have two equations f and g where [tex]f = g = \frac{1}{(1+x^2)}.[/tex]

The convolution theorem states that [tex]L(f*g) = L(f)*L(g)[/tex] where L can be either the Laplace transform or the Fourier transform.

So it will look like this [tex]\mathcal{L} \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t)g(x-t) dt = \mathcal{L} f(x) \cdot \mathcal{L} g(x)[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{L} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{(1+t^2)(t^2-2tx+x^2+1)} dt = 2 \cdot \mathcal{L} \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx[/tex]

I have to show that the left hand side and the right hand side are the same. I have tried to use both Laplace and Fourier transforms and partial fractions and lots of algebra manipulation as well as looking at integral tables.

What would be your strategy or the key point you would look at to go about showing this is true?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I thought was promising was a polynomial integration with
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{t^4 +c_1t^3+c_2t^2+c_3t+c_4} dt [/itex]
where [itex]c1 = -2x, c2 = 2x^2, c3 = -x, c4 = x^2 + 1 [/itex]
but I couldn't find anything useful from there.

I'm interested in seeing this what would your strategies be? What toolbox would you reach for?

There shouldn't be a convolution on both sides of your equality. It should be L(f*g) = L(f)L(g) (or vice versa)

Office_Shredder said:
There shouldn't be a convolution on both sides of your equality. It should be L(f*g) = L(f)L(g) (or vice versa)

You are right; I meant to use the * as multiplication on the right side and that was unclear. I will edit it and fix it.

Is your main problem evaluating the integral on the left hand side?

Also the right hand side should be L(f)2 not 2L(f)

Office_Shredder said:
Is your main problem evaluating the integral on the left hand side?

Also the right hand side should be L(f)2 not 2L(f)

Yes that is true, I did a terrible job of writing that out.

My main effort has been evaluating the integral on the left hand side because I believe if I can solve for that or show it equal to the right in some way that is all I need.

1. What is the definition of convolution?

The convolution of two functions, f and g, is a mathematical operation that produces a third function that represents the amount of overlap between f and a flipped and shifted version of g.

2. How is convolution used in scientific research?

Convolution is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and other fields of science to analyze data and extract information about the underlying patterns and relationships between variables.

3. How is the proof for f=g=1/(1+x^2) derived using convolution?

The proof involves expressing the convolution integral in terms of the Fourier transform of the two functions and then using the properties of the Fourier transform to simplify the integral. This eventually leads to the result of f*g = 1/(1+x^2).

4. What does the result of f=g=1/(1+x^2) indicate about the properties of the two functions?

The result indicates that the two functions, f and g, are very similar and have a strong overlap or correlation between them. This can provide insights into the behavior and relationships between variables in a system.

5. In what other areas of science can convolution be applied?

Convolution has applications in various fields including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and more. It is a powerful tool for analyzing data and understanding complex systems and relationships.