Learn Topology: Get Intro Book Recommendations

• Thread starter blob100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation is about learning topology and the recommendation of books on the subject. The books mentioned include Introduction to Topological Manifolds by John M. Lee, Basic Topology by Armstrong, and General Topology by Willard. Some people do not like Munkres' book, but others find it helpful to have a background in analysis. Other recommendations for point-set topology include Engelking's General Topology and Dugundji's Topology. One person is planning to use Munkres' book and is curious about its potential weaknesses.
blob100
Anyone would like to help me?:
I started learning some mathematics in university.
I would like to start learning by my own topology.
Anyone have a name of a good intro. book in the area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduction to topological manifolds by John M. Lee.

Basic Topology by Armstrong.

Munkres is the standard undergraduate textbook. It's helpful to know some analysis though because it will motivate the concepts. Also in many scenarios general topology will feel like analysis except you won't be using a metric, or a distance.

I don't really like Munkres. The book by Lee mentioned above is great though. Also, General Topology by Willard is very good. As a reference for point-set topology, Engelking's General Topology and Dugundji's Topology are nice.

Landau said:
I don't really like Munkres. The book by Lee mentioned above is great though. Also, General Topology by Willard is very good. As a reference for point-set topology, Engelking's General Topology and Dugundji's Topology are nice.

I'm going to use Munkres this semester, and I'd really appreciate if you could explain what the deficiences of this book are.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of geometric objects that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting.

2. Why should I learn topology?

Topology is a fundamental subject in mathematics that has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and biology. It helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and abstract reasoning, making it an essential tool for any scientist.

3. What are some introductory books on topology?

Some popular introductory books on topology include "Topology" by James Munkres, "A First Course in Topology: Continuity and Dimension" by John McCleary, and "Introduction to Topology: Pure and Applied" by Colin Adams and Robert Franzosa.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to learn topology?

While a solid foundation in mathematics is certainly helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to learn topology. However, a good understanding of basic concepts such as sets, functions, and proofs is essential.

5. How can I apply topology in my research?

Topology has applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and biology. It can be used to solve problems involving networks, optimization, and shape analysis. It can also provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and help in developing new mathematical models for real-world phenomena.