Solve Int. 1: Find x^7, x^5, x^3 Terms in Answer

In summary, when integrating (x^{2} + 5)^{3}, the correct result is 1/7x^{7} + 3x^{5} + 25x^{3} + 125x + C. This is obtained by correctly distributing the power of 3 to each term within the parentheses and then anti-differentiating.
elitespart
1. [tex]\int[/tex](x[tex]^{2} + 5)^{3}dx[/tex]

This is what the book gives as the answer
1/7x[tex]^{7}[/tex] + 3x[tex]^{5}[/tex] + 25x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 125x + C

I got something way different. Where are they getting the 3x^5 and 25x^3 from? Thanks.

-v.b.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your result?

Oh, I got: 1/7x^7 + 125x but I distributed the power and started off with x^6 + 125 before anti deriving.

That would be the problem. You didn't distribute the power correctly. What you did was

[tex](x^2 + 5)^3 = (x^2)^3 + 5^3[/tex]​

But that's not true. The correct way to expand the power is

[tex](x^2 + 5)(x^2 + 5)(x^2 + 5)[/tex]​

So, for example

[tex](x+1)^2 = (x+1)(x+1) = x*x + 1*x + 1*x + 1*1 = x^2 + 2x + 1[/tex]​

Not

[tex](x+1)^2 = x^2 + 1^2[/tex]​

1. What does "x^7, x^5, x^3" mean in this problem?

In this problem, "x^7, x^5, x^3" represent the exponents of the variable x. This means that we will be solving for the terms of x that have exponents of 7, 5, and 3.

2. How do I find the terms of x with exponents of 7, 5, and 3?

To find the terms of x with exponents of 7, 5, and 3, we can use the rules of exponents. For x^7, we can multiply x by itself 7 times. For x^5, we can multiply x by itself 5 times. And for x^3, we can multiply x by itself 3 times.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this problem. However, it is important to understand the rules of exponents and how to manually solve for the terms of x with exponents of 7, 5, and 3. This will help you check your work and understand the process better.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for the terms of x?

Yes, there is a specific order in which you should solve for the terms of x. In this problem, we should solve for the terms with the highest exponent first, which is x^7. Then, we can move on to x^5 and x^3. This will help us simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. Why do we need to find the terms of x with exponents of 7, 5, and 3?

Finding the terms of x with exponents of 7, 5, and 3 helps us understand the overall structure of the problem and gives us important information about the values of x. It also allows us to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. In some cases, it may also be necessary to find these terms in order to solve for a specific value of x.