I'm getting the wrong answer for the Indefinite Integral of: (x^2+2x)/(x+1)^2

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of time management and how to effectively prioritize tasks. The speakers discussed different strategies for staying organized and avoiding procrastination. They also emphasized the importance of setting achievable goals and not overcommitting oneself. Overall, the conversation highlighted the key elements of effective time management and the benefits it can bring to one's personal and professional life.
azizlwl
Homework Statement
(x^2+2x)/(x+1)^2
Ans: x^2/(x+1)
Relevant Equations
Integral
((x+1)^2 -1)/(x+1)^2 dx
1-1/(x+1)^2 dx
Let u=x+1
1-1/u^2 du
u+1/u +c
(u^2+1)/u +c
Not as answer given in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
azizlwl said:
Homework Statement: (x^2+2x)/(x+1)^2
Relevant Equations: Integral

((x+1)^2 -1)/(x+1)^2 dx
1-1/(x+1)^2 dx
Let u=x+1
1-1/u^2 du
u+1/u +c
(u^2+1)/u +c
You may have an equivalent answer to the book. There are so many equivalent answers to one indefinite integrals. I recommend you to take the derivative of your answer to see if it is your integrand.

Likes azizlwl and hutchphd
azizlwl said:
Homework Statement: (x^2+2x)/(x+1)^2
Relevant Equations: Integral

((x+1)^2 -1)/(x+1)^2 dx
1-1/(x+1)^2 dx
Let u=x+1
1-1/u^2 du
u+1/u +c
(u^2+1)/u +c
1. You didn't "undo" your substitution. When you use this technique of integration, you should always rewrite your answer in terms of the original variable, not the substitution variable.
2. Your answer, reverting back to the original variable x, is ##x + 1 + \frac 1 {x + 1} + C##.
If I subtract the answer shown in the book from your answer, I get a constant. If two people work an indefinite integral by different methods, they can often come up with different-appearing solutions. If the two solutions differ only by a constant, then differentiating each solution will result in the given integrand.

One more thing: you've been a member here for over ten years. If you're going to post questions about mathematics, do yourself a favor and learn a bit about how to post using LaTeX. There's a link to our tutorial in the lower left corner of the input pane, "LaTeX Guide".

Likes azizlwl
Hm, it's perhaps easier to first write
$$\frac{x^2+2x}{(x+1)^2}=\frac{(x+1)^2-1}{(x+1)^2}=1-\frac{1}{(x+1)^2},$$
which you can immediately integrate
$$\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{x^2+2x}{(x+1)^2}=x+\frac{1}{x+1}+C.$$

1. Why am I getting the wrong answer for the Indefinite Integral of (x^2+2x)/(x+1)^2?

One common mistake when integrating this expression is not properly simplifying the numerator before attempting the integration. Make sure to expand and simplify the numerator before proceeding with the integration.

2. Should I use long division or substitution to solve this Indefinite Integral?

In this case, it is more appropriate to use partial fractions to simplify the expression before integrating. Long division or substitution may not yield the correct result for this particular integral.

3. Is there a specific method or trick to solve this type of Indefinite Integral?

Yes, for rational functions like the one given, using partial fractions is a common technique to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate. Make sure to factorize the denominator and apply partial fractions to simplify the expression.

4. Can I use integration by parts for this Indefinite Integral?

Integration by parts is not the most suitable method for this particular integral. It is better to first simplify the expression using partial fractions before attempting the integration.

5. What are the steps to correctly solve the Indefinite Integral of (x^2+2x)/(x+1)^2?

To solve this integral correctly, first simplify the expression by using partial fractions. Once you have simplified the expression, you can proceed with integrating each term separately to find the final result.