Solving Rectilinear Motion: Find Car Acceleration at t=4s

In summary, The problem involves a car starting from rest and moving along a straight line with an acceleration of a=3s^{-1/3}m/s^2. By using the chain rule, we can find the acceleration at t=4 seconds by separating variables and integrating both sides. To determine the constant, we can use the fact that the car starts from rest and solve for it in terms of the initial position. The solution involves integrating v*dv, which results in v^2/2. By multiplying both sides by two and taking the square root, we can find the final solution.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Rectilinear Motion

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest and moves along a straight line with acceleration [itex]a=3s^{-1/3}m/s^2[/itex] where s in meters. Determine the cars acceleration at t =4 seconds.

I know that I am given acceleration as a function of position. I know that by the chain rule
[tex]a=dv/dt=(dv/ds)(ds/dt)=\frac{dv}{ds}\cdot v[/tex] I am just not sure where to go from here?

Any hints?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Good start, now separate variables and use a*ds=3s^(-1/3)*ds=vdv and integrate both sides

To determine the constant use the fact that at t=0, v=0, as given in the problem and go from there

Okay so now I have [tex]3s^{-1/3}ds=v\cdot dv[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 3*\frac{3}{2}s^{2/3}+C=v+C[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{9}{2}s^{2/3}+C[/tex]

but, I am still in function of s not t...where am I screwing this up?

Thanks for the help so far blochwave!

Oh ok, so the thing here is that the way this is set up the car doesn't start at s=0

If it did, what would be its acceleration at t=0? 3 divided by the cubed root of...0? So the car's initial acceleration is ERROR, unless I'm reading that wrong

So are you perhaps given an initial value to use for s? If you were you could of course say that's what s equals when v=0 and find that constant, then separate variables again and get an s(t), find s at t=4, and put that into the equation for a

EDIT: I THINK what you can do is just go ahead and solve for that first C in terms of So or whatever, if you don't know what it is

Go ahead and separate variables again and you'll have s as some function of time including another constant. Now when t=0, s=So still, so you can solve for that constant in terms of So, and see if you can do some trickery to find So using those two equations. But I don't think that's going to work

Last edited:
It says "car starts from rest" which implies that at s(0)=0.

car starts from rest implies that if you have v(t), then v(0)=0, it says nothing about the position.

I could have a rock I drop off a cliff, it starts from rest but is its initial position 0?

My instructor e-mailed me a long hint. I can't seem to make sense of it. It says :

"use [tex]a=dv/dt=(dv/ds)(ds/dt)=\frac{dv}{ds}\cdot v[/tex]

Then [itex]a=\frac{dv}{ds}*v[/itex] (1)

Integrate (1) to get [itex]v=3s^{1/3}[/itex]

Use [itex]v=\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex] to find [itex]s=(2t)^{3/2}[/itex] "

My problem is the very first integration. When I integrate (1) I am getting

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{9}{2}s^{2/3}+C[/tex] .

Not [itex]v=3s^{1/3}[/itex]arrgh!

I don't see why I cannot make any headway on this. I took a nap and everything! Maybe someone could shed a little light on this?:redface:

Can anybody help me out here? I really need to get this last one. Thanks!

oh lordy I don't know how we screwed this up

the integral of v*dv isn't v + C, it's v^2/2

Multiply both sides by two and square root and and I bet it cleans it up to what your professor got

1. How do you solve for a car's acceleration in rectilinear motion?

To solve for a car's acceleration in rectilinear motion, you need to know the car's initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it took to change from the initial to the final velocity. These values can be used in the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where "a" is the acceleration, "vf" is the final velocity, "vi" is the initial velocity, and "t" is the time.

2. Can the acceleration of a car in rectilinear motion be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a car in rectilinear motion can be negative. This means that the car is decelerating, or slowing down. Negative acceleration can also be referred to as "deceleration" or "retardation".

3. What are the units for acceleration in rectilinear motion?

The units for acceleration in rectilinear motion are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the Imperial system.

4. Is it possible to solve for a car's acceleration at a specific time in rectilinear motion?

Yes, it is possible to solve for a car's acceleration at a specific time in rectilinear motion. This can be done by using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where "a" is the acceleration, "vf" is the final velocity, "vi" is the initial velocity, and "t" is the specific time at which the acceleration is being calculated.

5. How does friction affect the acceleration of a car in rectilinear motion?

Friction can have a significant impact on the acceleration of a car in rectilinear motion. Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can cause the car to slow down and decrease its acceleration. This is why the acceleration of a car in real-world scenarios may be different from the theoretical calculations, as friction and other external factors can impact the car's motion.