Is there an analytical way to get average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas?

In summary: To summarize, the conversation discusses the average particle energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas with zero chemical potential, which is given by an integration involving the function (x^3)/(e^(x/k_BT)+1). The question is whether this integral can be solved analytically, and the conversation explores different methods to solve it. One method suggests using contour integration, while another suggests using a differentiation trick. The conversation concludes with a summary of the exact result for the integral.
seflyer
The average particle energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas, with zero chemical potential, is about 3.15T, where T is the temperture of this gas. To get the average energy, one needs to do an integration. The integrand is something like
[itex]\frac{x^3}{e^{x/k_BT}+1}[/itex].

I could get the result numerically. But is there a way to do it analytically? Thanks.

[updated] Sorry. The expression is corrected now. So basically I would like to know whether the following can be integrated analytically:

[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^{x/k_BT}+1} dx [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Erm, it's been a while since I have done thermal physics, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think
$$\langle E \rangle = \int \varepsilon f(\varepsilon) g(\varepsilon) \, \mathrm d\varepsilon$$
where
$$f(\varepsilon) = \frac{1}{e^{E/k_B T} + 1}$$

I'm not sure what g is anymore, I just Googled and found ##g(\varepsilon) \propto \varepsilon^{1/2}##. This would give
$$\langle E \rangle = \int \frac{\varepsilon^{3/2}}{\exp(\varepsilon / k_B T) + 1} \, \mathrm d\varepsilon$$
which is like your expression but with ##x = E = \varepsilon##.

In short, I'm not sure you have posted the correct integral so maybe you can post the exact integral you are trying to do.

CompuChip said:
Erm, it's been a while since I have done thermal physics, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think
$$\langle E \rangle = \int \varepsilon f(\varepsilon) g(\varepsilon) \, \mathrm d\varepsilon$$
where
$$f(\varepsilon) = \frac{1}{e^{E/k_B T} + 1}$$

I'm not sure what g is anymore, I just Googled and found ##g(\varepsilon) \propto \varepsilon^{1/2}##. This would give
$$\langle E \rangle = \int \frac{\varepsilon^{3/2}}{\exp(\varepsilon / k_B T) + 1} \, \mathrm d\varepsilon$$
which is like your expression but with ##x = E = \varepsilon##.

In short, I'm not sure you have posted the correct integral so maybe you can post the exact integral you are trying to do.

To CompuChip: Thanks. Now I've corrected the expression ( Not exactly like yours. ) The question is more clear now.

Hmm, a cubic? Interesting.
I asked Wolfram Alpha and it says that the integral can be done, but it involves some ugly polylog functions.

I think you would have better luck trying contour integration. You can get rid of the constant:
$$I = \int_0^\infty \frac{x^3}{\exp(x) + 1} \, dx$$
which has a pole at ##x = i\pi##. I haven't done contour integrals in a while so I would have to work this out, but usually you would integrate over a quarter circle with radius R and then down the imaginary axis, going around the pole. Putting in the integration boundaries in Wolfram Alpha gives a nice answer involving pi, so this is probably going to work :)

Would that help you?

PS I also found this page which does not help you in this case, but I thought the trick was cool so I'd share it.

Hmm, actually the "nice" result of ##\pi^2/12## was for x/(exp(x) + 1), so the "linear" variant. I have to leave now, but maybe you can work that out by hand and see if you can generalize to higher powers, either by doing the same computation, or by some differentiation trick.

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{x^n}{e^x+ 1} dx = (1-2^{-n})\,\Gamma(n{+}1)\,\zeta(n{+}1)$$
for n>-1, where Γ is the Euler gamma function and ζ is the Riemann zeta function.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Fermi-Dirac gas?

A Fermi-Dirac gas is a system of particles that obey the Fermi-Dirac statistics, which describes the behavior of particles with half-integer spin (such as electrons) at low temperatures. It is often used to model the behavior of electrons in a solid or in a gas of free electrons.

2. Why is it important to calculate the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas?

Calculating the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas is important in understanding the behavior of a system of particles at low temperatures. It can also provide insights into the properties of materials, such as their electrical conductivity and heat capacity.

3. Is there a formula for calculating the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas. It is given by:

E = (3/5) * (n/V) * εF,

where E is the average energy, n is the number of particles, V is the volume of the gas, and εF is the Fermi energy.

4. Can the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas be experimentally measured?

Yes, the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas can be experimentally measured. This is typically done by measuring the temperature and other properties of the gas, and then using these values to calculate the average energy using the formula mentioned in the previous question.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for calculating the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas?

There are a few limitations to using the formula for calculating the average energy of a Fermi-Dirac gas. It assumes that the gas is in thermal equilibrium and that the particles are non-interacting. It also does not take into account quantum effects, which may be significant at very low temperatures.