Investigation: Factors Affecting Friction

In summary, an investigation needs to be designed and completed to determine how weight, surface area, and speed affect the force of friction. The magnitude of force provided by an elastic band can be used as a gauge to measure this force. The experiment could involve using tissue boxes with varying weights and surface areas, and increasing the speed. To convert the force into newtons, the elastic band could be calibrated using known weights. Hanging the box vertically could provide a point of comparison, but may not produce friction. Alternatively, the focus could be on measuring force, surface area, weight, and speed with other equipment available.
jvercetti

Homework Statement

Design and complete an investigation to determine how the following factors affect the force of friction:
  • weight
  • surface are
  • speed

Homework Equations

The magnitude of the force that is provided by an elastic band is directly related to the distance the elastic band is stretched.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am kind of clueless. I thought I could use some tissue boxes, with different weight, surface area to do the first 2. Then I could just increase the speed on the third one..

What I am confused about
I am not sure what really to do.. So the amount of how much the elastic band is stretched will show me how much force I put in.. How do I convert that force into N? Also not sure how really to do the experiment.. Maybe if I become clear about the elastic band thing then I'll understand some more.. Because right now I don't understand how I could prove how the previously mentioned factors affect the force of friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
An elastic band is not the same as a spring, but let's say it is for these purposes.

Then let's attatch the band to your tissue boxes, and use it as a gauge of sorts to measure the force required to move the box from a stationary position while you vary the parameters you can. I suppose you could try to calibrate your "spring" by using known weights, but not sure how meaningful this data would be. I would at least hang the box vertically at some point. For speed it might be a bit trickier, couple thoughts come to mind but I'll leave this part to you.

denverdoc said:
An elastic band is not the same as a spring, but let's say it is for these purposes.

Then let's attatch the band to your tissue boxes, and use it as a gauge of sorts to measure the force required to move the box from a stationary position while you vary the parameters you can. I suppose you could try to calibrate your "spring" by using known weights, but not sure how meaningful this data would be. I would at least hang the box vertically at some point. For speed it might be a bit trickier, couple thoughts come to mind but I'll leave this part to you.

Ok I understand what you are saying up until hang the box vertically.. When I hang it, there will be no friction.. Isn't that right?

thats right, but it might provide a point of comparison to the forces involved horizontally.

It might help to think about this the other way round.

What do you need to measure? The answer to that is force, surface area, weight, speed.

What equipment do you have available to measure those quantities? Area and weight are easy - so make a list of different ways can measure the others. The answer to these questions will depend on what level you are studying at - in a university engineering research lab, you would have more options than you would in a school science lab.

An elastic band is one way of applying a force, but it's not the only way. Make a list of all the different ways you can think of, then choose which one to use.

FAQ: Investigation: Factors Affecting Friction

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that create resistance when they rub against each other.

How does friction affect the movement of objects?

Friction can either help or hinder the movement of objects. It can provide necessary grip for objects to move, such as car tires on the road, but it can also create resistance and slow down the movement of objects.

What factors affect friction?

The main factors that affect friction are the nature of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force pushing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a layer between the surfaces and reduce the contact between them. Smoother surfaces also have less friction because there are fewer irregularities for the surfaces to rub against.

Why is friction important to investigate?

Friction plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, from transportation to sports to industrial processes. By understanding the factors that affect friction, we can improve efficiency, reduce wear and tear, and develop new technologies that rely on friction for their function.