Anchor a tube on earth and slope it all the way into space

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a long tube anchored on Earth and extending into space. It is mentioned that there would be no flow of air through the tube due to gravity, and the concept of a space elevator is brought up with a link to further information. The conversation concludes with excitement over the possibility of a space elevator being built in the future.
fileerror404
All right, I know I'll make an azz of myself with all the big brains around but I have to know. (My physics knowledge is at a high school level so please forgive my ignorance)

I we were to anchor a tube on Earth and slope it all the way into space, would anything happen? Has there been experiments? Theories?

Just my stoner brain I guess :)

Thanks guys!

Astronomy news on Phys.org

The only thing that would happen is that you'd have a very long tube sticking out of the atmosphere. There would be no flow of air through the tube for the same reson that the atmosphere doesn't blow away into space: gravity. The pressure difference between the top and the bottom is exactly offset by the force of of gravity so the net flow is zero.

Thanks a lot neg. Makes a lot of sense (even to me) :tongue2:

Great link, ideasr. Go nanotubes...want to see that elevator built in my lifetime.

1. How does the anchor keep the tube in place on Earth?

The anchor is securely attached to the ground using a combination of deep foundations, such as piles or caissons, and tension cables. This ensures that the tube remains stable and does not move or shift.

2. What material is the tube made of?

The tube is typically made of a strong and lightweight material, such as carbon fiber or aluminum, to withstand the extreme forces of being sloped all the way into space.

3. How is the slope of the tube maintained?

The tube is carefully designed and engineered to maintain a consistent slope all the way into space. This is achieved through a combination of precise calculations and adjustments made during construction.

4. How is the tube supported in space?

The end of the tube in space is connected to a space station or other structure for support. It may also be anchored to the moon or another celestial body for additional stability.

5. Is there any danger of the tube breaking or collapsing?

The tube is designed to withstand the extreme forces of being sloped all the way into space and is thoroughly tested before use. However, regular maintenance and monitoring are necessary to ensure its structural integrity and safety.