Bombed the Math GREs now what?

• Testing
  • Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
In summary: A lot. It's not a death sentence. I'm an incoming undergrad sophomore, so I can't comment much on grad school. However, the only reason I like math at all now is because I bombed a standardized exam back in 9th grade, so if a 10th percentile score is going to devastate your chances of grad school, what do you have to lose by working on doing better?
fk378
Okay, I want to go to grad school for Mathematics. I am a graduating senior in Mathematics from a good university and I have a good GPA (overall and in Math). BUT...when I took the math GREs I did horribly on them. I didn't even get in the 10th percentile. I don't think taking them again would change my score much either, that is, if my score would even go up.

I'm not striving to go to the best graduate school for math. But with my GRE score, I don't even know if the worst schools would accept me.

So my questions are-
1) should I change my options for post-undergrad plans? ie, just find a job? if so, WHAT job hires undergrad math majors?
2) will a bad school accept me?
3) does doing poorly on the math GRE have any correlation with my success in grad school for math?

Thanks for any constructive advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is probably no way you could get into any math PhD program with your score (unless, possibly, you are a woman or underrepresented minority, but even in this case you would still want to at least try to bring your score off the floor). There are, however, masters programs that do not require the subject GRE, so you could apply to those. If you wanted to try to continue on for a PhD, you could take another crack at the subject GRE in a couple years.
Math PhD programs have pretty competitive admission. Admissions committees usually use the subject GREs as disqualifiers (a good score won't get you in, but a bad score can keep you out). Generally speaking, you'd want to at least get in the 80th subject GRE percentile to be competitive for top-20 schools, but 60th percentile surrounded by an otherwise solid application can give you a chance at less competitive schools.
The math subject GRE test isn't a perfect indicator of grad school success (it doesn't require proof-writing or research ability) but it would be naive to think it did not correlate somewhat with mathematical aptitude (which correlates pretty strongly with grad school success).

Have you tried assessing why you did horribly on the exam? It seems reasonable to figure out whether this was just unfortunate circumstances (lack of study, bad test-taking skills, bad day, why is half this exam calculus, etc.) or if you were having actual difficulties with a good portion of the problems (including the more theoretical ones). For instance, why are you so sure that your score won't go up. Since I think it's actually true that half the exam is on calculus, would you be willing to review a calc text to bring your score up? I'm just a silly incoming undergrad sophomore, so I can't comment much on grad school. However, the only reason I like math at all now is because I bombed a standardized exam back in 9th grade, so if a 10th percentile score is going to devastate your chances of grad school, what do you have to lose by working on doing better?

I agree that you should probably figure out why you did so poorly...yet I don't think you should just give up because of one test. It happens.

1. Why do I need to take the Math GREs?

The Math GREs are often required for graduate programs in the fields of mathematics, statistics, and other related disciplines. These exams help evaluate your quantitative skills and knowledge, which are important for success in these programs.

2. How important are my Math GRE scores for graduate school admissions?

While the importance of Math GRE scores varies among programs, they are generally considered an important factor in the admissions process. Along with other factors such as GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements, your Math GRE scores can demonstrate your quantitative abilities to admissions committees.

3. What is a good score on the Math GREs?

The Math GREs are scored on a scale of 130-170, with 170 being the highest score. While a good score can vary depending on the program you are applying to, a score of 160 or above is generally considered competitive.

4. Can I retake the Math GREs if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the Math GREs. However, there may be limitations on how many times you can retake the exam, and you will have to pay the registration fee each time. It is important to carefully prepare and study before retaking the exam to improve your chances of a higher score.

5. How can I improve my Math GRE scores after bombing the exam?

If you did not perform well on the Math GREs, it is important to assess where you struggled and focus on improving those areas. You can retake the exam after studying and preparing more thoroughly, or you can also consider taking additional math courses to strengthen your skills. Additionally, seeking guidance from a tutor or joining a study group can also be helpful in improving your scores.