Calculate Pump Static Head - New User Guide

In summary, to determine the static head for a pump, you will need to know the total dynamic head (TDH) and subtract any losses due to friction or elevation changes. The formula for calculating pump static head is SH = TDH - (Friction Loss + Elevation Change), and friction loss can be determined using a chart or calculator specific to your system parameters. This formula can be used for most types of pumps, but the parameters may vary. It is important to calculate pump static head to ensure proper pump selection and optimal performance and efficiency.
daggaman
I am new to pumps and wondering how to calculate the total static head for the system below.
reac.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. How do I determine the static head for my pump?

To calculate the static head for your pump, you will need to know the vertical distance between the surface of the liquid source and the pump's discharge point. This distance is known as the total head or total dynamic head (TDH). You can then subtract any losses due to friction or elevation changes to determine the pump's static head.

2. What is the formula for calculating pump static head?

The formula for calculating pump static head is: SH = TDH - (Friction Loss + Elevation Change). SH stands for static head, TDH stands for total dynamic head, and you will need to determine the friction loss and elevation change according to your specific system parameters.

3. How do I determine the friction loss for my pump system?

Friction loss can be determined by using a friction loss chart or calculator specific to your pipe material, size, and flow rate. You can also use the Hazen-Williams equation to calculate friction loss, which takes into account the roughness of the pipe walls.

4. Can I use the same formula for all types of pumps?

The formula for calculating pump static head can be used for most types of pumps, including centrifugal, positive displacement, and submersible pumps. However, the specific parameters used in the formula may differ depending on the type of pump and its application.

5. Why is it important to calculate pump static head?

Calculating pump static head is important because it helps determine the amount of pressure needed for the pump to overcome the resistance in the system and move the liquid to its desired destination. This allows for proper pump selection and ensures optimal performance and efficiency of the pump.