Seeking a Rigorous Treatment of Statistical Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a rigorous treatment of statistical thermodynamics, with some specific books being suggested by the participants. The book by Bowley and Sanchez is not suitable for the original poster, and they are looking for other recommendations. Kardar's books and lecture notes are highly recommended by the group for their approach to connecting information entropy and probability distributions.
jojo12345
Hi all,

I'm looking for a rigorous (in a mathematical sense) treatment of statistical thermodynamics. I'm at the tail end of a class on stat thermo that used the book by Bowley and Sanchez. This book is not what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kardar's books are superb. His notes are also available at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-333Fall-2007/CourseHome/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions. The first of the four that have been suggested that I took a look at was Kardar (the ocw lecture notes, to be precise). I really like the connection he makes early on between information entropy and estimating probability distributions.

1. What is statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to describe the behavior of large systems of particles. It is used to understand and predict the macroscopic properties of materials based on the behavior of their constituent particles.

2. Why is a rigorous treatment of statistical thermodynamics important?

A rigorous treatment of statistical thermodynamics is important because it provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level. This can lead to more precise predictions and applications in various fields, such as material science, chemistry, and engineering.

3. What are the key concepts in statistical thermodynamics?

The key concepts in statistical thermodynamics include entropy, energy, temperature, and probability. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, while energy is the ability to do work. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, and probability is used to describe the likelihood of a particular state or configuration of a system.

4. How is statistical thermodynamics related to classical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics is a more fundamental and microscopic approach to understanding thermodynamic systems, while classical thermodynamics is a macroscopic and phenomenological approach. Statistical thermodynamics provides a theoretical basis for the laws of classical thermodynamics and allows us to derive them from the behavior of individual particles.

5. What are some applications of statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics has many applications in fields such as material science, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as phase transitions, chemical reactions, and the properties of materials at the atomic and molecular level. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as in the design of more efficient engines and the development of new materials for electronic devices.