Lottery: Ticket for SpaceShipOne, would you buy?

• Thread starter Arctic Fox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lottery
In summary: End of story.In summary, Nogger is not interested in buying a lottery ticket to go into space because he can't afford it and he isn't interested in winning. He does think it would be fun to be a co-pilot on a space voyage, but he doesn't think he would be able to handle the launch vibration.

Would you buy a lottery ticket?

• Total voters
Arctic Fox
If these new private space companies like Vergin Galactic each had a lottery for a chance to win a 'free' ride in space, would you buy a ticket?

If so, how much would you be willing to buy a ticket for?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Arctic Fox said:
I voted 'no' for practical reasons, not idealistic ones. Of course I would love to go to space! I can't afford lottery tickets, particularly since the odds pretty much make it a waste of money. More importantly, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pass the health requirements to go even if I won. :cry:

I said name your price. YOU WOULD BE IN SPACE!

i said if it was under 25 bucks. i want a chance to win, but i wouldn't pay very much. actually, in reality, that ticket'd have to be like... less than 10 bucks.. really, probably max i'd spend is like 2 or 3. unless the odds were really good or something, or if someone convinced me... or something...

They can't even safely launch a rocket with highly trained astronaughts on board. There's no way I'd be on an early voyage, unless I'd been diagnosed with a terminal illness in which case I'd probably be on my new bike...

Imagine what would happen if you sent any of us up!

"Nogger, what d'ya think this button does?"
"Uhh, I don't know Danger. I'll have a look once I've undone these bolts"
"Ok, there's a red light started flashing. Ooh look, you can see my house from here!"
"Is that Evo up a tree? Danger! Put that fag out!"

brewnog said:
"Nogger, what d'ya think this button does?"
"Uhh, I don't know Danger. I'll have a look once I've undone these bolts"
"Ok, there's a red light started flashing. Ooh look, you can see my house from here!"
"Is that Evo up a tree? Danger! Put that fag out!"
:rofl: :rofl: You'd make a good co-pilot, lad. Too bad I'm grounded for now.

I was kinda hoping you'd pick up on the "put the fag out" line, and say something about chucking Smurf out of the window or something.

Ah well, gone are the days of me setting them up and you knocking them home...

brewnog said:
I was kinda hoping you'd pick up on the "put the fag out" line, and say something about chucking Smurf out of the window or something.
Sorry pal. I know that it means something else to you, but over here it's an extremely offensive term that I won't use in that context. I'll still call a cigarette one once in a while, but I couldn't think of a smoking joke right then.

I'd be willing to spend $100 on a lottery ticket to go into space.

No way you're going to get me onto a space ship! I still get sick on some roller coasters! :yuck: I'll sit right here and wait for someone else to send me the pictures. :approve:

Moonbear said:
No way you're going to get me onto a space ship! I still get sick on some roller coasters!
You don't get sick on an unbalanced washing machine; launch vibration should be about the same. Just sit back, enjoy, and don't look out the window.

Arctic Fox said:
If these new private space companies like Vergin Galactic each had a lottery for a chance to win a 'free' ride in space, would you buy a ticket?

At any price i could afford.

Danger said:
You don't get sick on an unbalanced washing machine; launch vibration should be about the same. Just sit back, enjoy, and don't look out the window.

heh heh

Ah, that was a fun subject.

franznietzsche said:
heh heh

Ah, that was a fun subject.
Yeah. It's just not the same now that it's lawn-mowing season.

Gale17 said:
i said if it was under 25 bucks. i want a chance to win, but i wouldn't pay very much. actually, in reality, that ticket'd have to be like... less than 10 bucks.. really, probably max i'd spend is like 2 or 3. unless the odds were really good or something, or if someone convinced me... or something...
The lower the price the more tickets will sell slanting the odds against you. Really the higher the price the better your odds but I'm thinking you probably wouldn't consider the difference it would make worth the money you would be spending.

I wouldn't buy a lottery ticket because I never win. I might buy an actual ticket though.

Danger said:
You don't get sick on an unbalanced washing machine; launch vibration should be about the same.

I'm surprised she's not set the hounds on you for insinuating that Moonbear regularly sits on her washing machine.

brewnog said:
I'm surprised she's not set the hounds on you
What insinuate? It was her idea.

1. How much does a ticket for SpaceShipOne cost?

The ticket for SpaceShipOne currently costs $250,000. This price may change in the future as the technology advances and becomes more affordable.

2. How many people can fit on one SpaceShipOne flight?

SpaceShipOne can carry up to six passengers, including the pilot. However, for safety reasons, only five passengers are allowed on each flight.

3. Is the lottery for the SpaceShipOne ticket open to everyone?

Yes, the lottery for the SpaceShipOne ticket is open to anyone who meets the eligibility requirements, such as being of legal age and having the financial means to pay for the ticket.

4. How long does the SpaceShipOne flight last?

The SpaceShipOne flight lasts approximately 90 minutes, with a few minutes of weightlessness experienced during the suborbital flight.

5. Are there any safety precautions in place for the SpaceShipOne flights?

Yes, SpaceShipOne is subject to rigorous safety standards and testing to ensure the safety of its passengers. Additionally, all passengers undergo extensive training before the flight to prepare them for any potential risks.