What Exactly Are Resonance Structures in Chemistry?

In summary, resonance structures of molecules are trial wavefunctions written as a linear superposition of simpler functions to approximate the actual molecular wave-function. This concept was first introduced by Linus Pauling in his book "The Nature of the Chemical Bond." While a precursor to resonance was used before the development of quantum mechanics, it is now tackled at the undergraduate or postgraduate level in courses such as Valence Bond Theory and Molecular Orbital Theory. However, one may also encounter these concepts in a conventional physics education by the second or third semester of quantum mechanics.
loom91
Hi,

I'm confused by resonance structures of molecules, what are they really? My teacher said resonance structures are in fact a decomposition of the actual molecular wave-function as a sum of simpler ones. Is this true? Or are they in fact simply pictures we draw when we can not classify the molecule into our simplistic lewis structures as claimed by my textbook? Thanks!

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, they are essentially what your teacher has described - trial wavefunctions written as a linear superposition of simpler (or better known) functions, with the ratios of coefficients variationally optimized to yield the state with lowest energy. If the measured bond energy of the molecule is pretty close to this calculated minimum value, you can claim to have a good approximation to "real" wavefunction.

Pauling explains this well in the early chapters of (The Nature of) The Chemical Bond.

However, it is true that a precursor to the more rigorous concept of resonance was in use for a few decades before the necessary quantum mechanics was developed. For the most part, one can intuitively (mostly out of practice) guess what the "resonating" structures are. But there is no real way, short of doing the very difficult calculations, of guessing the contributions of the different structures (ie, the ratios of the coefficients).

Last edited:
Thanks, that cleared it up. I guess one tackles the actual resonance calculations in VB? Are they tackled at UG or PG level?

loom91 said:
Thanks, that cleared it up. I guess one tackles the actual resonance calculations in VB?
What's "VB"?

VB = Valence Bond Theory
MO = Molecular Orbital Theory

loom91 said:
Thanks, that cleared it up.
I actually wasn't attempting to clear it up entirely - what I gave you was hardly a semi-synopsis. If you do have access to a library, find Pauling's book. You won't regret it.

I guess one tackles the actual resonance calculations in VB? Are they tackled at UG or PG level?
I'm not sure exactly when and if these concepts get "taught in class." If you go through a conventional Physics education, you might have all the tools necessary to do the calculation for simple resonances (the singly ionized Hydrogen molecule - H2+ - for starters) by your second or third semester of QM.

1. What are resonance structures?

Resonance structures are a way of representing molecules or ions that cannot be accurately depicted by a single Lewis structure. They show the delocalization of electrons within a molecule or ion.

2. How do you determine the major resonance structure?

The major resonance structure is determined by following the rules of resonance. These include choosing the structure with the fewest formal charges, having the most electronegative atoms with negative charges, and having a negative charge on the most electronegative atom.

3. Can resonance structures be hybridized?

No, resonance structures cannot be hybridized as they are not individual molecules or ions. They are simply different ways of depicting the same molecule or ion.

4. How do resonance structures affect the chemical properties of a molecule?

Resonance structures have a significant impact on the chemical properties of a molecule. They can affect the stability, reactivity, and polarity of a molecule. Additionally, resonance structures can also impact the strength of chemical bonds within a molecule.

5. Can resonance structures be used to predict the shape of a molecule?

No, resonance structures alone cannot be used to predict the shape of a molecule. The shape of a molecule is determined by its electron geometry and the arrangement of its atoms, which can be influenced by resonance structures, but are not solely determined by them.