Solved: Inverse Laplace Transform of $\frac{e^{-2s}}{s^2+s-2}$

In summary, you cover the exponential with your hand, find the f(t) such that L[f]=F(s) from Step 1, and then look up on a table the f(t) such that L[f]=H(t-2) from Step 2. Finally, add the two expressions you get from Step 3 together to get your answer.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] Laplace transform

Homework Statement

Find the inverse laplace transform of [tex]\frac{e^{-2s} }{s^2 + s - 2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to do about half of the problem
using partial fractions, I've found
[tex]\frac{e^{-2s}}{3(s+1)}+\frac{e^{-2s}}{3(s-2)}[/tex]

I can find the inverse Laplace transform of the latter part of that expression [tex]1/3u_2(t) e^{t-2}[/tex] unfortunately, I don't know how I can modify the first part so that it's shifted by -2. Anyone know what I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use calculus of residues (have you taken complex analysis yet?)

jesuslovesu said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known Anyone know what I should do?

Look in the wiki page about laplace transformations under 'time shifting'.

Unfortunately I haven't studied complex analysis.
I made an error in my original post (and I can't edit it for some reason)
It's now worse than before
[tex]s^2 + s - 2 = (s+2)(s-1)[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{e^{-2s}}{3(s+2)} + \frac{e^{-2s}}{3(s-1)}[/tex]

I see the time shift equation on wikipedia, but since the 's' is in the denominator I don't see how to shift either so that they match up with [tex]u_2(t)[/tex]

jesuslovesu said:
I see the time shift equation on wikipedia, but since the 's' is in the denominator I don't see how to shift either so that they match up with [tex]u_2(t)[/tex]

Hum, you seem to be misreading it, do this for your two terms separately

Step 1-- cover the exponential up with your hand. What's left is your 1/(s+2) (or 1/(s-1) for the other term) with your 3 and your signs of course. Call that F(s).

Step 2-- look up on a table the f(t) such that L[f]=F(s) from Step 1. Write that f(t) down.

Step 3-- now look on that exponential you were ignoring before (exp(-2s)) that's telling you that your answer will not be f(t), but instead be f(t-2)H(t-2) where H is the unit step function. So write that down.

Now repeat for the other term and then add the two expressions you get from Step 3 together.

got it now thanks, those steps are really handy

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain (represented by the variable 's') and converts it back into the time domain (represented by the variable 't'). It is the reverse operation of a Laplace transform.

2. Why is the inverse Laplace transform of $\frac{e^{-2s}}{s^2+s-2}$ important?

The inverse Laplace transform of $\frac{e^{-2s}}{s^2+s-2}$ is important because it is a common function in control theory and signal processing. It represents a damped oscillatory system, which is a common phenomenon in many real-world applications.

3. How is the inverse Laplace transform of $\frac{e^{-2s}}{s^2+s-2}$ calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform of $\frac{e^{-2s}}{s^2+s-2}$ can be calculated using the method of partial fractions. First, the function is rewritten as $\frac{e^{-2s}}{(s+2)(s-1)}$. Then, using partial fraction decomposition, it can be expressed as $\frac{A}{s+2} + \frac{B}{s-1}$, where A and B are constants. The inverse Laplace transforms of these two terms can then be calculated using standard tables or formulas.

4. What are the properties of the inverse Laplace transform?

Some properties of the inverse Laplace transform include linearity, time shifting, and frequency shifting. Linearity means that the inverse Laplace transform of a linear combination of functions is equal to the linear combination of their individual inverse Laplace transforms. Time shifting and frequency shifting refer to the effects of adding or subtracting constants to the variable 't' or 's', respectively.

5. What are the applications of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has numerous applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used to solve differential equations, analyze control systems, and model various physical phenomena. It is also used in signal processing to convert signals from the frequency domain to the time domain.