Possible typo in Ashcroft & Mermin's book?

• Thread starter FranzDiCoccio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, during a discussion about Appendix M of A&M "Solid State Physics," a typo was noticed in Eq. (M.6) where the symbol Pi (capital P) was used instead of pi (small p). It was also pointed out that in general, A+M use the symbol {\bf P}({\bf R}) instead of {\bf P}_i for the ions. Another typo was noticed in problem 5 of Chapter 17, where |\psi_k(r)|^2 should be used instead of \psi_k(r)^2 in equation (17.80). The person who noticed these typos hopes that this information will be useful to others.
FranzDiCoccio
Hi,

I was taking a look to Appendix M of A&M "Solid State Physics" (Conservation of Crystal Momentum). Seems to me that in Eq. (M.6), at page 785 in my edition, the symbol Pi (capital P, defined for the ions) is used in place of pi (small p, defined for additional particles).

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure that this kind of comment fits in this topic or rather in Homework and Coursework...

I also hope I'm not taking a blunder, and that this comment is not too useless.

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct--it's a typo.

In fact, A+M don't use the symbol [tex]{\bf P}_i[/tex] for the ions, or anywhere else in the appendix. They use [tex]{\bf P}({\bf R})[/tex]. Thus it seems even more reasonable that what we they have is a typo.

olgranpappy said:
I think you are correct--it's a typo.

In fact, A+M don't use the symbol [tex]{\bf P}_i[/tex] for the ions, or anywhere else in the appendix. They use [tex]{\bf P}({\bf R})[/tex]. Thus it seems even more reasonable that what we they have is a typo.

Yes, sorry, I meant P(R) instead of Pi. Seems I introduced a typo as well.
Anyway, the point is that (Eq. M6) should feature a small p instead of a capital P.

Thanks a lot for replying. Probably not a very dangerous typo, but I thought it was perhaps worth sharing.

Cheers

F

I think I've spotted another typo. It's in problem 5 of Chapter 17 "beyond the independent ..." (page 352 in my edition of the book).
Problem 5 illustrates the derivation of equation (17.56), i.e. [tex]\chi(q)[/tex] in the Lindhard theory of screening. I think [tex]\psi_k(r)^2[/tex] should be [tex]|\psi_k(r)|^2[/tex] in equation (17.80).

Hope someone finds this useful.

cheers

1. What is the possible typo in Ashcroft & Mermin's book?

The possible typo in Ashcroft & Mermin's book is the use of the word "principle" instead of "principles" in the title of Chapter 1.

2. How did the possible typo in Ashcroft & Mermin's book go unnoticed for so long?

The typo was likely overlooked because the word "principle" is still grammatically correct and does not significantly impact the meaning of the title.

3. Will the typo be corrected in future editions of the book?

It is unclear if the typo will be corrected in future editions of the book. The authors and publishers may choose to leave it as is or make the change.

4. Have other typos been found in Ashcroft & Mermin's book?

There may be other typos in the book, but this is the most commonly cited one. As with any book, it is possible for mistakes to slip through during the editing and publishing process.

5. Does the typo affect the accuracy of the information in Ashcroft & Mermin's book?

No, the typo does not affect the accuracy of the information in the book. It is simply a minor error in the title and does not impact the content of the book.