Exploring Alpha, Beta, Gamma Decay & Conservation of Mass/Energy

In summary, the mass of the daughter atom is greater after beta decay than alpha decay. This is due to the release of kinetic energy in the form of particles called beta particles.
gbaby370
I am completing an assignment that is covering alpha, beta, and gamma decay. I am going to try and keep this as general as possible, as I want to figure this out myself but I just looking for feedback to make sure I am on the right track.

I noticed that after alpha decay, the mass of the alpha particle and daughter atom is not quite equal to the parent atom. It wants to know whether I think mass and energy are conserved relative to E=mc^2. I noticed there was roughly 8.0x10^-13 J's less after the reaction. But I did a bit of research on the speed of an alpha particle, converted the mass of the alpha particle to kg, and when I plugged them into the kinetic energy formula (ek=.5mv^2), it gave roughly the difference between the parent vs. daughter alpha particle. That being said, could some of the mass have been converted into kinetic energy of the alpha particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! I believe you're right. :approve: Very nice.

The energy release of alpha decay (difference between the rest mass of the initial atom minus the sum of the rest masses of the daughter atom and alpha particle, times c2) is primarily in the form of kinetic energy.

And most of that kinetic energy is in the motion of the alpha particle, particularly if the parent atom was heavy. Due to conservation of momentum, the daughter atom might end up with a small fraction of that kinetic energy, but most of the energy is with the alpha particle. (You can prove this to yourself as an exercise. Using conservation of momentum, find the respective velocities of two objects separating from each other, initially at rest, when one mass is much bigger than the other. Then find the kinetic energy of each object via ½mv2*, and compare. You should find that the less massive object gets more of the energy.)

*(Using the Newtonian K.E. = ½mv2 should approximate this pretty well. The velocity of alpha particles is a pretty small fraction of c.)

Thanks!

Is it also safe to say that that velocity of the alpha particle will be different in some isotopes due to the different sizes and charges? (referring to Coulombe's Law)

gbaby370 said:
Thanks!

Is it also safe to say that that velocity of the alpha particle will be different in some isotopes due to the different sizes and charges? (referring to Coulombe's Law)
I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm led to believe that there is surprisingly little variation in the decay energy. (And for the most part, a parent atom has to be pretty heavy in the first place [heavier than maybe nickel?], before it is likely to emit an alpha particle. Meaning that most kinetic energy stays with the alpha particle rather than the daughter atom, for even lighter parent atoms [relatively speaking]. So there's not a whole lot of variation.) I've provide a link below regarding the "Geiger–Nuttall law" that might be informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Nuttall_law

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject of decay,

In beta plus decay, and electron is released, but within the daughter atom a proton will fuse with an electron to create a neutron. That being said, the mass of the daughter atom is a bit larger. I'm guessing that what when the proton fuses with the electron, the energy that kept the electron in orbit around the atom was converted to mass along as well? What are your thoughts?

gbaby370 said:
Since we're on the subject of decay,

In beta plus decay, and electron is released,
I think you mean a positron (and a neutrino).
but within the daughter atom a proton will fuse with an electron to create a neutron.
don't confuse β+ decay with electron capture decay. β+, β-, and electron capture decays all have similarities, but they are not the same thing.
That being said, the mass of the daughter atom is a bit larger.
Try that one again.

Let me give you an example of a β+ decay:

40K40Ar + e+ + νe

(where νe is a neutrino).

Now compare the masses of the original Potassium atom to that of the Argon atom:

Potassium 40 mass (in unified atomic mass units): 39.963998475 u
Argon 40 mass (in unified atomic mass units): 39.96238312251 u​

(Source WolframAlpha, http://www.wolframalpha.com/)

The difference in that mass energy (ΔE = Δmc2) becomes the mass energies of the positron and neutrino plus their kinetic energies (plus a little involving the recoil of the Argon atom).

-------------
Edit:

And unlike alpha decays, the beta decay energy can vary greatly. Not only that, beta particles normally travel at ultrarelativistic speeds, so you can't use the KE = ½mv2. Instead, you need to use the relativistic version, [itex] KE = mc^2(\gamma - 1) [/itex] where [itex] \gamma \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} [/itex]

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the info.

1. What is the difference between alpha, beta, and gamma decay?

Alpha decay is the emission of an alpha particle, which consists of two protons and two neutrons, from the nucleus of an atom. Beta decay is the emission of a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron, from the nucleus of an atom. Gamma decay is the emission of a gamma ray, which is a high-energy photon, from the nucleus of an atom.

2. How does the conservation of mass and energy apply to radioactive decay?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Similarly, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In radioactive decay, the total mass and energy of the system before and after the decay must be equal, meaning that the mass and energy of the decay products must be accounted for.

3. How can we determine the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. This can be determined through experimentation by measuring the rate of decay and calculating the time it takes for half of the sample to decay. The half-life can also be determined mathematically using the decay constant, which is a measure of the rate of decay.

4. What role do nuclear forces play in radioactive decay?

Nuclear forces, also known as strong nuclear forces, are the forces that hold the protons and neutrons together in the nucleus of an atom. In radioactive decay, these forces are responsible for holding the nucleus together and determining the stability of the atom. When the nuclear forces are not strong enough to hold the nucleus together, radioactive decay occurs.

5. Can radioactive decay be influenced by external factors?

Yes, radioactive decay can be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles. These external factors can affect the stability of the nucleus and therefore the rate of decay. This is known as induced radioactivity and is often used in nuclear reactions and medical treatments.