Signals and system (difficult)

In summary, the student is having trouble solving a problem involving integrating x'(t) to get y(t). The hint given was to use the integration by part, but this introduced a variable t into the equation. The student is looking for help with this problem and is asking for help with understanding the impulse response function for a high pass filter.
brad sue
Hi,

I have this problem about signals that I have a little trouble to finish:
I attached a small figure of the circuit.
I cannot figure out the answer and I struggled for 2 days.

It is a High pass filter, and the ODE of the circuit is:

[tex]\frac{dx[t]}{dt}=\frac{y[t]}{RC}+ \frac{dy[t]}{dt}[/tex]

the solution for the equation is (according to the hint given by the homework):
[tex]y[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{t} e^{-(t-\lambda)/\tau}x'[\lambda] \,d\lambda [/tex] (1)

But the question said:
Find the solution of the ODE to obtain y[t] as some integral of x[t].

This implies taking away the [tex]x'[\lambda][/tex] in (1) and replace by [tex]x[\lambda][/tex].

the hint suggested us to use the integration by part to the solution [tex]y[t][/tex].
I chose x'[t] for v' and the exponetial function as u.
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}u.v'd\lambda =[u.v] -\int_{a}^{b}u'. vd\lambda[/tex]

Doing this, I got:
[tex]y[t]=x[t]+\lambda\int_{-\infty}^{t}x(\lambda)e^{-(t-\lambda)/\tau} \,d\lambda [/tex]

My problem is that by intergrating, even though I took away what I wanted, I have introduced the variable t. I don't know if it is a problem. I am not sure of the answer.

My second question is the following:
Find the impulse response function [tex]h[t][/tex] so that the solution is has the form:
[tex]y[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}h(t-\lambda) x(\lambda) \,d\lambda [/tex]

Hint: if you find a lonely x(t), remenber that: [tex]x[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta(t-\lambda) x(\lambda) \,d\lambda [/tex]

[tex]\delta(t)[/tex] is the delta function.

please can I have help with this problem?
Thank you

Attachments

• RC circuit.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 200
Engineering news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
Hi,

I have this problem about signals that I have a little trouble to finish:
I attached a small figure of the circuit.
I cannot figure out the answer and I struggled for 2 days.

It is a High pass filter, and the ODE of the circuit is:

[tex]\frac{dx[t]}{dt}=\frac{y[t]}{RC}+ \frac{dy[t]}{dt}[/tex]

the solution for the equation is (according to the hint given by the homework):
[tex]y[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{t} e^{-(t-\lambda)/\tau}x'[\lambda] \,d\lambda [/tex] (1)

But the question said:
Find the solution of the ODE to obtain y[t] as some integral of x[t].

This implies taking away the [tex]x'[\lambda][/tex] in (1) and replace by [tex]x[\lambda][/tex].

the hint suggested us to use the integration by part to the solution [tex]y[t][/tex].
I chose x'[t] for v' and the exponetial function as u.
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}u.v'd\lambda =[u.v] -\int_{a}^{b}u'. vd\lambda[/tex]

Doing this, I got:
[tex]y[t]=x[t]+\lambda\int_{-\infty}^{t}x(\lambda)e^{-(t-\lambda)/\tau} \,d\lambda [/tex]

My problem is that by intergrating, even though I took away what I wanted, I have introduced the variable t. I don't know if it is a problem. I am not sure of the answer.

My second question is the following:
Find the impulse response function [tex]h[t][/tex] so that the solution is has the form:
[tex]y[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}h(t-\lambda) x(\lambda) \,d\lambda [/tex]

Hint: if you find a lonely x(t), remenber that: [tex]x[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta(t-\lambda) x(\lambda) \,d\lambda [/tex]

[tex]\delta(t)[/tex] is the delta function.

please can I have help with this problem?
Thank you

In the integral t is not a variable, it is a constant, since the integration variable is lambda. You can make [tex]e^{-(t-\lambda)} = e^{-t}e^\lambda[/tex] then take [tex]e^{-t}[/tex] outside of the integral.

Thank you CEL but I think that I need to keep the form so that I always get the [tex]t-\lambda[/tex] as argument.

brad sue said:
Thank you CEL but I think that I need to keep the form so that I always get the [tex]t-\lambda[/tex] as argument.

Even if you want to keep the form [tex]t-\lambda[/tex], t is still a constant and not a variable. The only variable is still [tex]\lambda[/tex] .

When one does

[tex]y[t]=\int_{-\infty}^{t} e^{-(t-\lambda)/\tau}x'[\lambda] \,d\lambda [/tex]

the integral involves the frequency domain, and lambda (frequency) is the variable, not t.

Frquency domain is the basis of Fourier and Laplace transforms and analyses, as opposed to the time-domain.

If x(t) = eat, then x'(t) = a eat = a x(t) assuming that x'(t) = d x(t) / dt

and the other part of that is d [x(t)]/da = t eat = t x(t)

Last edited:
Thank you Astronuc and CEL,

I 'll redo my computations. I will let you know if I still have an issue.

1. What is the difference between a signal and a system?

A signal is a measurable quantity that carries information, such as sound or images. A system is a collection of elements that process a signal, which can include filters, amplifiers, and other components. In simple terms, a signal is what is being transmitted, while a system is what processes the signal.

2. What are the key properties of signals and systems?

Some key properties of signals include amplitude, frequency, and phase. These properties describe the characteristics of a signal, such as its strength, how often it repeats, and its starting point. For systems, key properties include linearity, time-invariance, and causality. These properties describe how a system responds to different signals and inputs.

3. How do signals and systems interact?

Signals and systems interact through a process called convolution. This involves passing a signal through a system, which results in an output signal. The output signal is the convolution of the input signal and the impulse response of the system. Essentially, the system modifies the input signal to produce an output signal.

4. What are some common applications of signals and systems?

Signals and systems have a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, audio and video processing, and control systems. They are used to transmit and process information, filter out noise, and analyze data. Some specific examples include digital signal processing, image and speech recognition, and signal filtering in electronic devices.

5. What are some challenges in studying signals and systems?

One of the main challenges in studying signals and systems is their complexity. Signals can take on many different forms, and systems can have multiple components and interactions, making it challenging to analyze and understand their behavior. Additionally, signal processing involves advanced mathematical techniques, which can be difficult for some students to grasp. It also requires a strong understanding of fundamental concepts in mathematics and physics.