Question on Physics problem of time and distance

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem in college algebra where a ball is thrown from the top of a 96 foot building at an initial velocity of 80 ft/s. The question is how many seconds it would take for the ball to reach the ground (a) and the top of the building (b). The equation given is d=96+80t-16t^2 and the conversation discusses using the quadratic formula to solve for t, resulting in 6 seconds for (a) and 5 seconds for (b). It is also mentioned that there is a second solution for both equations, with a value of -1 second, which represents the ball being thrown from the ground.
Daniol10
I have this problem I am doing for college algebra. Its been giving me a lot of trouble and i have know idea how to handle it. the problem is that is a ball that were thrown from the top of a 96 foot building traveling at an initial velocity of 80 ft/s would travel from there all the way to the ground how many seconds would it reach the ground(a) and the top of the building(b)? they also give an equation for that represents the distance traveled (d=96+80t-16t^2) I've been stuck on the problem for a good while and have now idea how to go by it

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Daniol10! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

ok, so you have an equation d = 96 + 80t - 16t2,

and you need to sove it for (a) d = 0, and (b) d = 96.

sooo … just put that value of d into the equation, and solve it as an ordinary quadratic equation in t …

what do you get? :smile:

Thanks! I had forgotten about the quadratic formula. I ended up with 6 sec for (a) and 5 sec for (b)

Fine! :smile:

btw, you'll notice that both equations have another solution …

eg for (a) it's -1 s, which is when it would have had to be thrown from the ground to follow the same trajectory! :wink:

Hi there,

It seems like you are dealing with a problem involving time and distance in the context of a ball being thrown from a building. To solve this problem, we can use the equation d = 96 + 80t - 16t^2, where d represents the distance traveled, t represents time, and 96 is the initial height of the building.

To find the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground (a), we can set d = 0, since the ball will be at the ground when it reaches a distance of 0. This gives us the equation 0 = 96 + 80t - 16t^2. We can then solve for t by using the quadratic formula or by factoring the equation. Once we have t, we will have the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground.

To find the time it takes for the ball to reach the top of the building (b), we can set d = 96, since the ball will be at the top of the building when it reaches a distance of 96 feet. This gives us the equation 96 = 96 + 80t - 16t^2. Again, we can solve for t using the quadratic formula or by factoring the equation.

I would recommend reviewing the concepts of solving quadratic equations and using equations to solve problems involving time and distance. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or make a table to organize the information given in the problem.

Best of luck with your problem and your studies in college algebra!

1. What is the formula for calculating time and distance in a physics problem?

The formula for calculating time and distance in a physics problem is distance = speed * time. This formula is derived from the basic definition of speed, which is the distance traveled divided by the time taken.

2. How do you convert units of time and distance in a physics problem?

In order to convert units of time and distance in a physics problem, you can use the conversion factors for the specific units you are working with. For example, to convert from miles per hour to meters per second, you would multiply by the conversion factor of 0.447.

3. How can I solve a time and distance problem with multiple variables?

When solving a time and distance problem with multiple variables, it is important to first identify what information you have and what information you are trying to find. From there, you can use algebraic equations to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown variable.

4. How does acceleration affect time and distance in a physics problem?

Acceleration affects time and distance in a physics problem by changing the rate at which an object's speed changes. The greater the acceleration, the faster the object will change its speed and therefore cover a greater distance in a given time.

5. Can I use the time and distance formula for objects moving at different speeds?

Yes, the time and distance formula can be used for objects moving at different speeds. However, it is important to note that the formula assumes a constant speed. For objects that are accelerating or decelerating, a different formula or approach may be needed.