Good calculus based intro physics text book

In summary, the individual is looking for a physics textbook that heavily utilizes calculus in its problems, rather than just using it in definitions. They express dissatisfaction with their current textbook, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday & Resnick, and are seeking suggestions for a more math-style approach. They receive a recommendation for a free online textbook that seems to align with their preferences. They also mention their belief that many of the problems in physics require knowledge of calculus to solve, which is not reflected in their current textbook.
farleyknight
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'd like to know: What's a good physics text that uses calculus? I mean, not just uses calculus in the definitions of velocity and acceleration and whatnot, but uses it in almost all the problems? I find my current text, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday & Resnick uses calculus only in definitions and a handful of problems. I thought calculus had a very deep relationship w/ physics, but I'm finding the ideas only have a cursory relationship, and that you could almost skirt around this issue if you use the discrete difference definitions. Suffice to say, most of the problems in the textbook are just practices in algebra. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delphi51 said:

Thank you for the recommendation. Just took a quick peek and it seems closer to the math style that I like, i.e. giving equations and their justifications, along with some side remarks, in lock-step.

The problems I can't quite comment on, as they were a bit long, so I didn't get a chance to read through them, although I will.. I guess my main beef with the book I mentioned in the OP was that most of the values in the problems were constants or very simple linear functions. Only a few problems used functions which we needed mechanics of calculus to actually solve the questions, which, if I'm not mistaken, is where much of "real physics" is at, correct?

1. What makes a good calculus-based introductory physics textbook?

A good calculus-based introductory physics textbook should have a clear and concise explanation of the fundamental concepts, plenty of practice problems with varying difficulty levels, and real-world applications to help students understand the relevance of the material. It should also have a good balance between theory and practical examples, and should be written in a way that is easy for students to understand.

2. What topics should be covered in a good calculus-based introductory physics textbook?

A good calculus-based introductory physics textbook should cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. It should also include relevant mathematical concepts, such as calculus and vector algebra, to help students solve problems and understand the underlying principles.

3. How important is the use of illustrations and diagrams in a physics textbook?

The use of illustrations and diagrams is crucial in a physics textbook as they help students visualize and understand complex concepts. They also make the material more engaging and can help students retain information better. A good textbook should have high-quality illustrations and diagrams that accurately represent the concepts being discussed.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for introductory calculus-based physics?

There are many good calculus-based introductory physics textbooks available, and the best one for you will depend on your learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

5. How can I choose the right calculus-based introductory physics textbook for me?

When choosing a calculus-based introductory physics textbook, it is important to consider your learning style, the level of difficulty you are comfortable with, and the topics covered. You may also want to read reviews and ask for recommendations from your professors or peers. It is also a good idea to preview the textbook before purchasing to see if it aligns with your needs and preferences.