Trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group is bounded

In summary: The requirement that g have finite order means that there cannot be any non-diagonal Jordan blocks in g's Jordan normal form.
jahlex

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite complex matrix group: [itex]G \subset M_{n\times n}[/itex]. Show that, for [itex]g \in G, |\text{tr}(g)| \le n[/itex] and [itex]|\text{tr}(g)| = n[/itex] only for [itex]g = e^{i\theta}I[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since [itex]G[/itex] is finite, then every element [itex]g \in G[/itex] has a finite order: [itex]g^r = I[/itex] for some whole number [itex]r[/itex]. By the formula for traces, [itex]\text{tr}(g) = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i[/itex] and [itex]\text{tr}(g^r) = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i^r = n[/itex] where [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] are eigenvalues of [itex]g[/itex]. So how do I show that [itex]|\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i| \le \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i^r[/itex] for complex [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] ?

The problem comes from Exercise A2.11 on page 612 of Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information 10th Anniversary Edition. The textbook can easily be found, for example, here www.johnboccio.com/research/quantum/notes/QC10th.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose ##\lambda_1 = \lambda_2 = 1/2##. Then it is not true that |1/2 + 1/2| < |1/4 + 1/4|. So in general that inequality just isn't true.

There must be something about G being finite that rules out the above case.

jahlex said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite complex matrix group: [itex]G \subset M_{n\times n}[/itex]. Show that, for [itex]g \in G, |\text{tr}(g)| \le n[/itex] and [itex]|\text{tr}(g)| = n[/itex] only for [itex]g = e^{i\theta}I[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since [itex]G[/itex] is finite, then every element [itex]g \in G[/itex] has a finite order: [itex]g^r = I[/itex] for some whole number [itex]r[/itex]. By the formula for traces, [itex]\text{tr}(g) = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i[/itex] and [itex]\text{tr}(g^r) = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i^r = n[/itex] where [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] are eigenvalues of [itex]g[/itex]. So how do I show that [itex]|\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i| \le \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i^r[/itex] for complex [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] ?

The problem comes from Exercise A2.11 on page 612 of Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information 10th Anniversary Edition. The textbook can easily be found, for example, here www.johnboccio.com/research/quantum/notes/QC10th.pdf

If you can show that [itex]g \in G \subset GL(\mathbb{C},n)[/itex] is diagonalizable, then the fact that [itex]g^r = I[/itex] requires that the eigenvalues of [itex]g[/itex] lie on the unit circle. You then have [tex]
\left| \sum_{i = 1}^n \lambda_i \right| \leq \sum_{i= 1}^n |\lambda_i| = \sum_{i = 1}^n 1 = n
[/tex]
where the first inequality is a basic result.

To show that [itex]g[/itex] is diagonalizable, consider the Jordan normal form of [itex]g[/itex]. Why does the requirement that [itex]g[/itex] have finite order mean that its normal form cannot contain non-diagonal Jordan blocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. What does it mean for the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group to be bounded?

When we say that the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group is bounded, it means that the sum of the diagonal elements of any matrix in the group is limited to a certain range or value.

2. Why is it important to study the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group?

The trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group is an important concept in mathematics and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It helps us understand the behavior and properties of matrix groups, which are essential in many mathematical models and calculations.

3. How do we determine if the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group is bounded?

To determine if the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group is bounded, we need to analyze the structure and properties of the group. This includes looking at the size of the group, the elements and operations involved, and any constraints or restrictions on the elements. We can also use mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue analysis to determine the upper and lower bounds of the trace.

4. Can the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group be unbounded?

No, the trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group cannot be unbounded. Since the group is finite, there is always a limit to the number of elements and operations involved. This means that the trace, which is a sum of the diagonal elements, will also be limited to a certain range or value.

5. How does the bounded trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group affect the group's properties?

The bounded trace of elements in a finite complex matrix group has a significant impact on the group's properties. It helps us understand the group's structure, symmetry, and transformations. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations with more accuracy and precision. In some cases, the bounded trace can also provide insights into the group's subgroups and other related structures.