Transistor Biasing: Calculating Input & Output Resistance

In summary, the homework statement is trying to calculate input resistance and output current. However, they are stuck because they don't know how to calculate output resistance.
likephysics

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Input resistance is R1||R2
I don't know how to calculate output resistance.

To calculate the base current, I calculated the voltage at the resistor divider (5V), thevinized the base circuit and applied KVL. But Ie is not known.
I am stuck now.

Attachments

• bjt.jpg
    bjt.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Output resistance is Rc in parallel with hoe.
In the input bias mesh you have the Thévénin equivalent of Vcc, Rb1 and Rb2 in series with the base-emitter diode. You can calculate IB. From IB and beta you can calculate Ic.

CEL, so its basically (Vb-0.7)/Rth
where, Vb is the voltage at base; Rth is the thevinin equivalent and 0.7 is base-emitter diode drop.
Correct?

likephysics said:
CEL, so its basically (Vb-0.7)/Rth
where, Vb is the voltage at base; Rth is the thevinin equivalent and 0.7 is base-emitter diode drop.
Correct?

Correct.

There is a voltage across the emitter resistor caused by a base current and a collector current 100 times as great as the base current.

Have you allowed for this?

vk6kro said:
There is a voltage across the emitter resistor caused by a base current and a collector current 100 times as great as the base current.

Have you allowed for this?

yup.

Are you sure?

The emitter voltage depends on the base current you are trying to calculate, but multiplied by 100.

The voltage drop across the emitter resistor is Ie*Re.
Ie is almost equal to Ic
Ic = beta*Ib

Is this what you are talking about?

Yes, but you don't know Ib, so how can you know Ic or Ve?

Well, Ib is Voltage divider voltage(5v) -Vbe drop(0.7v)/Thevinin equivalent of the 2 resistors - Rb1 and Rb2.

Ib= (5v-0.7v)/Rth

I then calculate Ic, which is beta*Ib

likephysics said:
Well, Ib is Voltage divider voltage(5v) -Vbe drop(0.7v)/Thevinin equivalent of the 2 resistors - Rb1 and Rb2.

Ib= (5v-0.7v)/Rth

I then calculate Ic, which is beta*Ib

No, Ib is Voltage divider voltage(5v) -Vbe drop(0.7v)/Thevinin equivalent of the 2 resistors - Rb1 and Rb2 - voltage across Re (beta+1)Ib.
You have an equation with one unknoen: Ib.

CEL said:
No, Ib is Voltage divider voltage(5v) -Vbe drop(0.7v)/Thevinin equivalent of the 2 resistors - Rb1 and Rb2 - voltage across Re (beta+1)Ib.
You have an equation with one unknoen: Ib.

That's what I initially thought, but to find the current thru a resistor
I = V/R

[STRIKE]The voltage across Rth is (5-0.7)v
That divided by Rth should give I flowing thru Rth, which is nothing but base current.
Correct?[/STRIKE]

(just realized)
Dang! I get it. The voltage at right side of Rth is not 0.7v, it is 0.7+drop across Re.
Thanks.

Yes. That is much better.

1. What is transistor biasing and why is it important?

Transistor biasing is the process of setting the DC operating point for a transistor, which ensures that the transistor operates in the desired region for proper amplification. It is important because it ensures stable and predictable transistor performance.

2. How do you calculate the input resistance of a transistor circuit?

The input resistance of a transistor circuit can be calculated by dividing the change in input voltage by the corresponding change in input current. This can also be approximated by taking the ratio of the base-emitter voltage to the base current.

3. What factors affect the output resistance of a transistor circuit?

The output resistance of a transistor circuit is affected by several factors, including the type of transistor, the biasing voltage, and the operating temperature. Additionally, the load resistance and the Early effect (which causes a decrease in output resistance at higher collector voltages) can also impact the output resistance.

4. How do you calculate the output resistance of a transistor circuit?

The output resistance of a transistor circuit can be calculated by taking the inverse of the slope of the output characteristics curve at the desired operating point. This can also be approximated by dividing the change in output voltage by the corresponding change in output current.

5. How can transistor biasing be adjusted to improve the performance of a circuit?

Transistor biasing can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors in the biasing network. This can improve the performance of a circuit by ensuring that the transistor operates in the desired region for amplification, as well as by minimizing distortion and maximizing efficiency.