Basic Combinatorics Inclusion-Exclusion Principle Clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of integers between 1 and 2009, inclusive, that are not divisible by 3, 2, and 10, as well as those that are not divisible by 3, 2, or 10. The conversation references the equations for finding the number of objects in a set that have none or at least one of a set of properties. After some discussion and calculations, it is determined that the number of integers that are not divisible by 3, 2, and 10 is 570, while the number that are not divisible by 3, 2, or 10 is 1439. The conversation concludes by discussing the need to carefully follow the task requirements
pupeye11

Homework Statement

How many integers between 1 and 2009, inclusive are (a) not divisible by 3,2, and 10 (b) not divisible by 3,2, or 10?

Homework Equations

The number of objects of the set S that have none of the properties is given by the alternating expression:

[tex]
\mid S \mid -\sum \mid A_{i} \mid + \sum \mid A_{i} \cap A_{j} \mid - ...
[/tex]

The number of objects of S which have at least one of the properties is given by

[tex]
\sum \mid A_{i} \mid - \sum \mid A_{i} \cap A_{j} \mid + ...
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i=1,2,3 where i=1 is the property that its divisible by 3 and i=2 for the property that its divisible by 2 and i=3 for the property its divisible by 10

[tex]
\mid S \mid = 2009
\mid A_{1} \mid = 669
\mid A_{2} \mid = 1004
\mid A_{3} \mid = 200
\mid A_{1} \cap A_{2} \mid = 334
\mid A_{1} \cap A_{3} \mid = 66
\mid A_{2} \cap A_{3} \mid = 100
\mid A_{1} \cap A_{2} \cap A_{3} \mid = 66
[/tex]

So for the part a I thought it would be the first equation because I am looking for the number of objects that don't have all these properties at the same time so my answer came to 570.

For part b I thought it'd be the second equation which comes to 1439.

But shouldn't the number of integers that are not divisible by 3,2, and 10 be larger than the number of integers that are not divisible by 3,2, or 10?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so pretty much I just had my two answers backwards. 570 is the answer to (b) by the first equation because I found an example and I did it the exact same way. Which makes part (a) equal to 1439 by the second equation. Correct?

(a) [tex]\sim{A_1} \cap \sim{A_2} \cap \sim{A_3}=\sim (A_1 \cup A_2 \cup A_3)=2009-1439=570[/tex]

(b)[tex]\sim{A_1} \cup \sim{A_2} \cup \sim{A_3}=\sim (A_1 \cap A_2 \cap A_3)=2009-66=1943[/tex]

Don't you have those backwards though.

(a) not divisible by 3,2, and 10 which is just
[tex]
\sim (A_1 \cap A_2 \cap A_3)=2009-66=1943
[/tex]

so obviously the 2009 - 66 would make sense here and

(b) not divisible by 3,2, or 10
would be the other method.

And what made you think that I did those backwards?

Just follow what the task is asking for.

Regards.

1. What is the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle in combinatorics?

The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is a fundamental concept in combinatorics that helps calculate the size of a set that is the union of multiple smaller sets. It states that the size of the union of two sets A and B is equal to the sum of their individual sizes minus the size of their intersection.

2. How is the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle used in combinatorics?

The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is used to solve problems that involve counting the number of elements in a union of multiple sets. It is especially helpful when there are overlapping elements between the sets, as it allows us to account for these overlaps in our calculations.

3. What is the formula for the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle?

The formula for the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle is: |A ∪ B| = |A| + |B| - |A ∩ B|, where |A| represents the size of set A, and |B| represents the size of set B.

4. Can the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle be extended to more than two sets?

Yes, the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle can be extended to any number of sets. The formula for more than two sets is: |A ∪ B ∪ C| = |A| + |B| + |C| - |A ∩ B| - |A ∩ C| - |B ∩ C| + |A ∩ B ∩ C|.

5. What are some practical applications of the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle?

The Inclusion-Exclusion Principle has practical applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems such as counting the number of ways to arrange a set of objects, calculating the probability of certain events, and determining the complexity of algorithms in computer science. It is also used in real-world scenarios, such as scheduling tasks and organizing events with overlapping constraints.