Triple integral volume problem, volume between 2 paraboloids

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid region bounded by two paraboloids. The speaker attempted to solve the problem using Cartesian coordinates but found it difficult. Another speaker suggests using an integral with limits based on the equation of the ellipse. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking another for their helpful suggestion.
zonedestruct

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid region E bounded by the paraboloids z = 1+x^2+y^2 and
z = 4 - 2x^2 - 11y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i set up a triple integral using Cartesian coordinates but was unable to solve it because the limits of integration where very hard to integrate, i don't think you can use cylindrical coordinates because the intersection is an eclipse: x^2 + 4y^2 = 1. PLease somebody show me a good method to do this question as it was in a past exam and might come up again.

Please help me. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Know what, I didn't do it all but doesn't look like the regular way would be too hard.
[tex]4\mathop\iint\limits_{\text{1/4 my ellipse}} \left(z_1(x,y)-z_2(x,y)\right) dydx[/tex]

and since you have the equation of the ellipse:

[tex]x^2+4y^2=1[/tex]

not hard to get the upper limit on y right? Then x just goes from one side to the other.

What happens when you do that?

jackmell said:
Know what, I didn't do it all but doesn't look like the regular way would be too hard.
[tex]4\mathop\iint\limits_{\text{1/4 my ellipse}} \left(z_1(x,y)-z_2(x,y)\right) dydx[/tex]

and since you have the equation of the ellipse:

[tex]x^2+4y^2=1[/tex]

not hard to get the upper limit on y right? Then x just goes from one side to the other.

What happens when you do that?

is the limits for y: 0<= y < = (√(1-x^2))/2 ?? and then for x it is 0<=x<=1

Yes.

thanks jackmell i really like how you split it up to a quarter and multiplied by 4 to take advantage of the symmetry. NOw the integral is not as complicated as the one i initially had when i went from -(√(1-x^2))/2 <= y <= (√(1-x^2))/2

What is a triple integral volume problem?

A triple integral volume problem involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape using multiple integrals. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the volume of complex objects.

How do you solve a triple integral volume problem?

To solve a triple integral volume problem, you must first set up the integral using the given equations for the boundaries of the shape. Then, you must evaluate the integral using appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions. Finally, you can use numerical methods or technology to evaluate the integral and find the volume.

What is the volume between two paraboloids?

The volume between two paraboloids is the space enclosed by two three-dimensional shapes that resemble parabolas. This volume can be calculated using a triple integral, with the two paraboloids serving as the upper and lower boundaries of the integral.

What are some real-world applications of triple integral volume problems?

Triple integral volume problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the mass of a 3D printed object, or determining the amount of fluid in a chemical reaction vessel. They are also used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of complex objects, such as aircraft wings or engine components.

What are some tips for solving triple integral volume problems?

Some tips for solving triple integral volume problems include carefully setting up the integral with the correct boundaries, using appropriate integration techniques, and double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy. It is also helpful to visualize the shape and consider any symmetries that may simplify the calculation.