Recommendations for a book in mathematical problem solving

In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for book recommendations on problem solving in mathematics. The person is interested in finding a book at the level of a typical American high school math contest and is looking for a book that focuses on methodologies rather than just problems and solutions. A book titled "Principles of Mathematical Problem Solving" by Erickson and Flowers is suggested, as well as "The Art of Problem Solving vol. 1&2" by Richard Rusczyk and Sandor Lehoczky. The person also notes that The Art of Problem Solving website may be useful.
echelonIV
Hi everyone.

To start off, I've recently taken an interest in mathematics (more specifically, hard problem solving) and I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a good book on problem solving, preferably at the level of a typical American high school math contest (I've tried reading The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz, but it was a bit too overwhelming). A book on methodologies rather than just problems and solutions would be nice, but either works.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Principles of Mathematical Problem Solving by Erickson & Flowers

Have you tried "The Art of Problem Solving vol. 1&2" by Richard Rusczyk and Sandor Lehoczky?

I'll certainly take a look at those two, and The Art of Problem Solving website looks very useful also. Thanks :)

1. What types of math problems does this book cover?

This book covers a variety of mathematical problem solving techniques, including algebra, geometry, statistics, and calculus.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners or more advanced students?

This book is suitable for both beginners and more advanced students. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more complex problem solving strategies.

3. Are there step-by-step instructions and examples included?

Yes, this book includes step-by-step instructions and examples for each problem solving technique. This will help readers understand the concepts and apply them to their own problems.

4. Can this book be used for self-study or is it better for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It is designed to be easy to follow and includes practice problems for readers to test their understanding.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the problem solving techniques in this book?

Yes, this book includes real-world applications of the problem solving techniques, showing readers how they can be used in various fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science.