Integrate 1/z^2 Over a Closed Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of \int_\alpha\frac{1}{z^2}dz over a closed circle containing the origin on its interior. The speaker mentions the possibility of using Cauchy's integral theorem, but realizes that it cannot be applied since f(z)=1/z is not analytic at zero. They then suggest using Cauchy's integral formula with f(z)=1, but another speaker points out that this would result in a value of 0 instead of the expected 2πi. The conversation ends with a suggestion to integrate around the unit circle using z=exp(it) and applying the cauchy integral theorem on the difference between the unit circle and the contour alpha.
Poopsilon
[tex]\int_\alpha\frac{1}{z^2}dz[/tex]

I can't figure out how to integrate this over a closed circle which contains the origin on its interior. I'm assuming it is equal to 2πi; is there a way to apply Cauchy's Integral Theorem? If I set f(z)=1/z then that is not analytic on the interior, so I don't see how I can apply the theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops I mean't cauchy's integral theorem. But that theorem would require that f(z)=1/z by analytic at zero.

Poopsilon said:
oops I mean't cauchy's integral theorem. But that theorem would require that f(z)=1/z by analytic at zero.

Yeah, you can't use that theorem here...

oops shoot I meant cauchys integral formula! sorry about that lol. How can I use that? Would f(z) just equal 1?

Edit: Ah wait so I could use the generalized formula with f(z)=1 and get 2πi, is that right?

Super Duper Edit: But wait I'm sorry that would give me 0 because the derivative of a constant function is 0, but I'm quite sure it should be 2πi, so something's wrong.

Last edited:
It's not 2pi*i. It's 0. Do what you did in the other thread and integrate around the unit circle and put z=exp(it). Change it to an integral dt. Use the cauchy integral theorem on the difference between the unit circle and the contour alpha.

1. What does it mean to integrate 1/z^2 over a closed curve?

Integrating 1/z^2 over a closed curve means finding the area enclosed by the curve in the complex plane when the function 1/z^2 is integrated along the curve. This is known as a contour integral and is commonly used in complex analysis.

2. What is the significance of a closed curve in this integral?

A closed curve is necessary in this integral because it allows us to define a region in the complex plane for which the function 1/z^2 is integrated. This region is known as the domain of integration and is enclosed by the curve.

3. How do you calculate the value of the integral for 1/z^2 over a closed curve?

The value of the integral for 1/z^2 over a closed curve can be calculated using the Cauchy Integral Formula, which relates the values of a function inside a closed curve to the values of its derivative on the curve. This formula allows us to evaluate the integral by finding the values of the function and its derivative at specific points on the curve.

4. What is the connection between integrating 1/z^2 over a closed curve and the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem states that the value of a contour integral over a closed curve can be calculated by summing the residues of a function at its singular points inside the curve. In the case of integrating 1/z^2 over a closed curve, the Residue Theorem can be applied to find the singular points of the function and evaluate the integral.

5. Can the integral for 1/z^2 over a closed curve be extended to more general curves?

Yes, the integral for 1/z^2 can be extended to more general curves using the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, which states that the value of a contour integral over a curve can be calculated by summing the values of the function inside the curve. This allows us to evaluate the integral for 1/z^2 over any curve that is differentiable and contained within the domain of the function.