Constant acceleration problem involving NASA exploration vehicle.

In summary: Sorry for bothering you. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.In summary, NASA landed exploration vehicles on Mars in January 2004, with a descent consisting of three stages: friction with the atmosphere, a parachute opening, and retro rockets firing. Assuming constant acceleration during each stage, the rocket's acceleration during stage C was 0 m/s^2, the total distance traveled during stage A was 356 m, and the total distance traveled during stage C was 0.075 km.
fuhgidabowdit
1. In Jan. 2004, NASA landed exploration vehicles on Mars. Part of the descent consisted of the following stages:?
Stage A: Friction with the atmosphere reduced the speed from 19300 km/h to 1600 km/h in 4.0 min.
Stage B: A parachute then opened to slow it down to 321 km/h in 94 s.
Stage C: Retro rockets then fired to reduce its speed to zero over a distance of 75 m.
Assume that each stage followed immediately after the preceding one and that the acceleration during each stage was constant.1.Find the rocket's acceleration (in m/s^2 ) during stage C.

2.What total distance (in m} did the rocket travel during stage A?

3.What total distance (in km) did the rocket travel during stage C?

V1= V0 + a1T
x-x0= V0T + 1/2a1T6
(V1)^2- (V0)^2 = 2a1(T^2)(x-x0)
a1= acceleration T=time Vo=initial velocity x,x0= position, initial position

The last question isn't that just 75 m converted to KM? I put that in and I got the answer wrong. Also for #1 I got -0.05 and I got that wrong too. And for #2 I got 356m and got that wrong too. I used the above equations to get all of these answers. What am i doing wrong? Please Help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fuhgidabowdit,

fuhgidabowdit said:
1. In Jan. 2004, NASA landed exploration vehicles on Mars. Part of the descent consisted of the following stages:?
Stage A: Friction with the atmosphere reduced the speed from 19300 km/h to 1600 km/h in 4.0 min.
Stage B: A parachute then opened to slow it down to 321 km/h in 94 s.
Stage C: Retro rockets then fired to reduce its speed to zero over a distance of 75 m.
Assume that each stage followed immediately after the preceding one and that the acceleration during each stage was constant.

1.Find the rocket's acceleration (in m/s^2 ) during stage C.

2.What total distance (in m} did the rocket travel during stage A?

3.What total distance (in km) did the rocket travel during stage C?

V1= V0 + a1T
x-x0= V0T + 1/2a1T6
(V1)^2- (V0)^2 = 2a1(T^2)(x-x0)
a1= acceleration T=time Vo=initial velocity x,x0= position, initial position

The last question isn't that just 75 m converted to KM? I put that in and I got the answer wrong. Also for #1 I got -0.05 and I got that wrong too.

Looking at #1, how did you get -0.05 (and what numbers did you use to get it)?

hey thanks for replying. I figured out what I was doing wrong. It was just some stupid algebraic mistakes.

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes by the same amount over equal intervals of time. It is measured in units of distance per unit of time squared (m/s^2).

How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval in which the change occurred. The formula for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

Why is constant acceleration important in NASA exploration?

Constant acceleration is important in NASA exploration because it allows spacecrafts and exploration vehicles to travel long distances in a relatively short amount of time. It also allows for precise and controlled movements in space.

How does NASA ensure constant acceleration in their exploration vehicles?

NASA ensures constant acceleration in their exploration vehicles by using powerful rocket engines that provide a continuous thrust, which results in a constant acceleration. They also use advanced navigation and control systems to monitor and adjust the acceleration as needed.

What are some challenges of maintaining constant acceleration in space exploration?

Some challenges of maintaining constant acceleration in space exploration include the effects of gravity from other celestial bodies, such as planets and moons, which can cause variations in acceleration. The use of fuel and the limitations of propulsion systems can also affect the ability to maintain constant acceleration.