Jet accelerating in problem with Constant Acceleration

In summary, to find the acceleration of a jet plane cruising at 300 m/s and then accelerating to 400 m/s after 4 km, the average speed during that interval must be calculated first. This is done by dividing the total distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. Then, the standard kinematic equation v1^2 = v0^2 + 2a * (x1 - x0) can be used to find the acceleration. When given two velocities and asked to find something between them, it is safe to assume constant acceleration and use the average speed to calculate the necessary values. Other kinematic equations may also be used, depending on what information is given and what value needs to be calculated
Caolan

Homework Statement

A jet plane is cruising at 300 m/s when suddenly the pilot turns the engine up to full throttle. After traveling 4km, the jet is moving 400 m/s. What is the jet's acceleration?

known:
x0 = 0m, t0 = 0s, v0 = 300 m/s
x1 = 4000m, t1 = ?, v1 = 400 m/s

Homework Equations

t1 = x1 - x0 / v1 - v0
a = v1 - v0 / t1

The Attempt at a Solution

t1 = x1 - x0 / v1 - v0 = 4000m / 100 m/s = 40s
a = v1 - v0 / t1 = 100m/s / 40s = 2.5 m/s/s

The book says the acceleration is 8.8m/s/s. I have worked this problem several ways and cannot seem to come up with the solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Caolan said:
t1 = x1 - x0 / v1 - v0 = 4000m / 100 m/s = 40s
This reasoning is not correct. To find the time it took to cover those 4 km you need the average speed during that interval. Which is what? (For some reason, you used the change in speed.)

Likes 1 person
In solving for t1 you incorrectly assumed that the velocity was a constant 100 m/s.

Do you another kinematic equation for distance under a constant acceleration?

I assumed it was 100m/s because it starts off at 300 m/s and ends up at 400 m/s after 4000m and so the difference is 100 m/s. the other ones I have is the standard one:

x1 = x0 + v0(t1 - t0) + 0.5 * a(t1 - t0)^2. Substituting in the values I come up with:

4000 = 300(40) + 0.5 * a(40)^ = 4000 = 12000 + 0.5 * a * 1600
-8000 = 800*a
10 m/s/s = a.

Or I could use this one:
v1^2 = v0^2 + 2a * (x1 - x0)
400 ^ 2 = 300 ^ 2 + 2a * 4000)
160000 - 90000 = 8000a
70000 = 8000a

Okay I swear I did this several times... grrrr.

Thanks!

So my question now is how do I know which of the three kinematic equations to use? All three provide through algebraic methods the ability to find the acceleration? But I have gotten different answers from all three. The ciorrect answer being in the third one.

Caolan said:
I assumed it was 100m/s because it starts off at 300 m/s and ends up at 400 m/s after 4000m and so the difference is 100 m/s.
That's certainly the difference in speed, but that's not what you need to calculate the time. To calculate the time, you can use distance = ave speed * time, but first you need the average speed.

the other ones I have is the standard one:

x1 = x0 + v0(t1 - t0) + 0.5 * a(t1 - t0)^2. Substituting in the values I come up with:

4000 = 300(40) + 0.5 * a(40)^ = 4000 = 12000 + 0.5 * a * 1600
-8000 = 800*a
10 m/s/s = a.
This is wrong because you are assuming a time of 40 s, which is wrong.

Or I could use this one:
v1^2 = v0^2 + 2a * (x1 - x0)
400 ^ 2 = 300 ^ 2 + 2a * 4000)
160000 - 90000 = 8000a
70000 = 8000a
That's fine.

Caolan said:
So my question now is how do I know which of the three kinematic equations to use? All three provide through algebraic methods the ability to find the acceleration? But I have gotten different answers from all three. The ciorrect answer being in the third one.
Your only mistake was using this equation, which is not valid:
Caolan said:
t1 = x1 - x0 / v1 - v0

I recalculated it using the average and yes I was able to get 8.8 m/s^2 again. So is it safe to say that whenever you're given two velocities and asked to find something between that you should find the average and calc based on that?

Caolan said:
I recalculated it using the average and yes I was able to get 8.8 m/s^2 again. So is it safe to say that whenever you're given two velocities and asked to find something between that you should find the average and calc based on that?

Technically, these kinematics equations only work when you know the acceleration is constant. But for practical purposes, virtually all kinematics questions assume constant acceleration, so yes.

Likes 1 person
awesome thank you!

Caolan said:
So is it safe to say that whenever you're given two velocities and asked to find something between that you should find the average and calc based on that?
Well, it depends on what you need to calculate and how you plan to do it.

If you want to use a kinematic formula that involves the time, then you'll need to calculate the time. For that you can use Δx = vave*Δt.

A useful list of kinematic formulas can be found here: Basic Equations of 1-D Kinematics

1. How does a jet accelerate in a problem with constant acceleration?

In a problem with constant acceleration, the jet's acceleration remains the same throughout the entire motion. This means that the jet's velocity increases by the same amount in each unit of time. The jet's acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

2. What factors affect a jet's constant acceleration?

The factors that affect a jet's constant acceleration include the thrust force of the jet's engines, the mass of the jet, and the drag force acting against the jet. These factors can be manipulated to increase or decrease the jet's acceleration.

3. Why is it important to consider a jet's acceleration in flight?

A jet's acceleration is important to consider in flight because it affects the speed and direction of the jet's motion. It also impacts the jet's ability to maneuver and maintain stability in the air. Understanding a jet's acceleration can help pilots make necessary adjustments during flight to ensure a safe and efficient journey.

4. How is a jet's acceleration related to its velocity?

A jet's acceleration is directly related to its velocity. As the jet accelerates, its velocity increases. Similarly, if the jet decelerates, its velocity decreases. This relationship can be represented by the formula v = u + at, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

5. How does air resistance affect a jet's acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can act against a jet's motion and decrease its acceleration. This is because drag force opposes the motion of the jet, making it harder for the jet to accelerate. Pilots must take into account the effects of air resistance when calculating a jet's acceleration and making adjustments during flight.