Reference or explanation of zeta mellin transform in critical strip

In summary, the conversation discussed the proof of (1) \zeta (s) = \lim\limits_{x \to \infty} \left\{ \sum\limits_{n \leq x} \frac{1}{n^s} - \frac{x^{1-s}}{1-s} \right\} for s in the critical strip, which translates to a Mellin transform integral representation (2) \zeta(s) \Gamma(s)= \int\limits_0^\infty \left( \frac{1}{e^t -1}-\frac{1}{t} \right) t^{s-1} \rm{d} t. The conversation also mentioned
schtruklyn
Hi. In Apostol's book "Introduction to analytic number theory", Teorem 3.2(b), Apostol proves

(1)
[itex]
\zeta (s) = \lim\limits_{x \to \infty} \left\{ \sum\limits_{n \leq x} \frac{1}{n^s} - \frac{x^{1-s}}{1-s} \right\}
[/itex]

for [itex]s[/itex] in critical strip. I know this translates to a Mellin transform integral representation

(2)
[itex]
\zeta(s) \Gamma(s)= \int\limits_0^\infty \left( \frac{1}{e^t -1}-\frac{1}{t} \right) t^{s-1} \rm{d} t
[/itex]

because it's stated as such by mathematician Petersen here, eq. (43). Petersen says (2) stems from the usual integral of zeta for [itex]\Re (s) > 1[/itex]

(3)
[itex]
\zeta(s) \Gamma(s)=\int\limits_0^\infty \frac{ t^{s-1}}{e^t -1} \rm{d} t
[/itex]

by analytic continuation, but I just can't find justification to it. It is probably trivial, but I fail to see it.

My question is:

Can someone please point me to a book-reference for Mellin transform integral representation (2), or can someone explain how one proves its validity, if proof turns trivial, possibly by use of analytic continuation or by use of (1).

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the zeta mellin transform?

The zeta mellin transform is a mathematical operation that involves transforming a function using the Riemann zeta function. It is denoted by the symbol ζ and is defined as the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integer powers.

2. What is the critical strip in relation to the zeta mellin transform?

The critical strip is a region on the complex plane where the Riemann zeta function is defined. It is the area between the vertical line x = 0 and the line x = 1. The critical strip is important in the study of the zeta mellin transform because it is where the function has interesting properties and connections to other mathematical concepts.

3. How is the zeta mellin transform used in mathematics?

The zeta mellin transform has many applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and complex analysis. It is used to study the distribution of prime numbers, to solve problems involving infinite series, and to understand the behavior of functions on the complex plane.

4. What are some properties of the zeta mellin transform?

Some important properties of the zeta mellin transform include linearity, shift invariance, and convolution. It also has a duality property, meaning that the transform of a function is related to the original function in a specific way. Additionally, the zeta mellin transform has connections to the Riemann hypothesis, a famous unsolved problem in mathematics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the zeta mellin transform?

While the zeta mellin transform is primarily a theoretical mathematical concept, it has been used in some practical applications. One example is in signal processing, where the transform can be used to analyze and filter signals. It has also been used in economics to model and predict the distribution of wealth in a society.