Zeros of Riemann zeta function, functional equation and Euler product

In summary: Euler product is valid for all values of ##s## in the critical strip. This means that there are no zeros outside of the critical strip.Finally, to show that these zeros are symmetric about ##s=1/2##, we can use the fact that the functional equation ##\zeta(s)=\chi(s)\zeta(1-s)## is symmetric about this point. This means that if ##s=-2k## is a zero of ##\zeta(s)##, then ##1-s=2k## is also a zero. Therefore, the zeros are symmetric about ##s=1/2##, as required.In summary, we have shown that using the functional equation and
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question

Use the functional equation to show that for :

a) ##k \in Z^+ ## that ## \zeta (-2k)=0##
b) Use the functional equation and the euler product to show that these are the only zeros of ##\zeta(s) ## for ##Re(s)<0## . And conclude that the other zeros are all located in the critical strip: ##0\leq Re(s) \leq 1 ## . Show that these are symmetric about ##s=1/2##

Homework Equations

Euler product: ## \zeta(s)=\Pi^{p}\frac{1}{1-p^{-s}}## defined for ##Re(s)>1##

Functional equation:

##\zeta(s)=\chi(s)\zeta(1-s)##
where ##\chi(s)=2^s\pi^{s-1}\sin(\frac{\pi s}{2} \Gamma(1-s)##

Also have ##Z(s)=\pi^{\frac{-s}{2}} \Gamma(\frac{s}{2}) \zeta(s)## which we know has simple poles at ##s=0, 1 ##

So from this we can see that the ## \Gamma (s) ## that gave poles for ##Z(s)## gives arise to the zeros of ##\zeta(s)## at ##s=-2k## so that's the trivial zeros done.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the Euler product define for ##Re(s) > 1 ## we can see that ## \zeta (s) ## does not vanish for ## Re(s) >1 ##.
I think to make the rest of the conclusions about the critical strip and being symmetrically distributed about ##Re(s)=1/2 ## I need to use the functional equation. But I'm not sure what to do...

I want to look where it is positive and negative I guess. But with ##sin## and ##\Gamma## which are positive and negative at different ranges of ##s ## I'm not really sure what to do.. any hint greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your problem. Let's start by looking at part a) of the question.

a) Using the functional equation, we can rewrite ##\zeta(-2k)## as ##\chi(-2k)\zeta(1-(-2k))##. Since ##k \in Z^+##, we know that ##-2k## is an even negative integer. Therefore, ##\chi(-2k)=0##, as it is defined as ##2^s\pi^{s-1}\sin(\frac{\pi s}{2} \Gamma(1-s))##. This means that ##\zeta(-2k)=0##, as required.

Now, let's move on to part b) of the question. We can use the functional equation and the Euler product to show that the only zeros of ##\zeta(s)## for ##Re(s)<0## are located at ##s=-2k##, where ##k \in Z^+##.

First, let's look at the Euler product. We know that it is defined for ##Re(s)>1##, but we can extend it to the region ##0<Re(s)<1## using analytic continuation. This means that the product is still valid for all values of ##s## in the critical strip ##0\leq Re(s) \leq 1##.

Next, using the functional equation, we can rewrite ##\zeta(s)## as ##\chi(s)\zeta(1-s)##. Since we are interested in the zeros of ##\zeta(s)## for ##Re(s)<0##, we can write ##\chi(s)\zeta(1-s)=\chi(s)\zeta(-s)##. From part a), we know that ##\zeta(-s)=0## for ##Re(s)>0##, and therefore ##\chi(s)\zeta(-s)=0## for ##Re(s)>0##.

This means that the only possible zeros of ##\zeta(s)## in the critical strip are located at ##s=-2k##, where ##k \in Z^+##. These are the trivial zeros that you have already mentioned.

Now, for the conclusion that the other zeros are all located in the critical strip, we

1. What is the Riemann zeta function and why is it important?

The Riemann zeta function is a mathematical function that is defined on the complex numbers. It is important because it is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers and has numerous applications in number theory, physics, and engineering.

2. What are the zeros of the Riemann zeta function and why are they significant?

The zeros of the Riemann zeta function are the values of the complex variable for which the function is equal to zero. These zeros play a crucial role in understanding the distribution of prime numbers and have connections to many unsolved mathematical problems.

3. What is the functional equation of the Riemann zeta function and how does it relate to its zeros?

The functional equation of the Riemann zeta function is a mathematical identity that relates the values of the function at different points in the complex plane. It allows us to extend the function to the entire complex plane and has important implications for the location and behavior of the zeros of the function.

4. What is the Euler product of the Riemann zeta function and how does it help in understanding its properties?

The Euler product is an infinite product that expresses the Riemann zeta function as a combination of prime numbers. It provides a powerful tool for studying the behavior of the function and its zeros, and has connections to the distribution of prime numbers.

5. What are some current research topics related to the zeros of the Riemann zeta function?

Some current research topics related to the zeros of the Riemann zeta function include the Riemann hypothesis, which states that all the nontrivial zeros of the function lie on the critical line, and the study of the distribution of these zeros. Other topics include connections to quantum chaos, randomness, and the relationship between the Riemann zeta function and other important mathematical functions.