Scaling up a test cannon to a life sized cannon

In summary, the task is to determine the length and bore of a cannon needed to launch an 80 kg Clown with an over-arm measurement of 48 inches at the same angle as a model cannon, as well as the amount of fuel needed for this launch and for a launch onto a foam mattress 30 m away. Using the given variables for the model cannon and life-sized clown, calculations can be made to estimate the size and fuel requirements for the real cannon.
FredGirl13

Homework Statement

Your task is to determine:

a.the length and bore of cannon that is required to accommodate an 80 kg Clown with an over-arm measurement of 48 inches

b.the amount of fuel that is required to launch the Clown at the same angle as you did with your model cannon .

c.the amount of fuel that is required to launch the Clown at the same angle as you did with your model cannon onto a foam mattress 30 m away.

Test Cannon
Diameter of Ball: 7cm
Length of Cannon Barrel: 21.5cm
Length of Compression Chamber: 6.5cm
Amount of Fuel Used: 2.6mL of Methanol
Distance Travelled: 1.256m

Life Size Variables
Diameter of Life Sized Clown: 60.96cm
Distance Clown Must Travel: 30m
Mass of Clown: 80kg
Angle: 25°

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (Diameter of Clown/Diameter of Ball)xBore of Model Cannon=Bore of Real Cannon
(62.661cm)
(Bore of Life Sized Cannon/Bore of Model Cannon)xLength of Model Cannon= Barrel length of real cannon (185.653cm)

(length of model compression chamber/length of model barrel)xLength of life sized Cannon Barrel= Compression chamber of life sized cannon (56.122cm)

And I have no idea where to start with the estimating fuel part :(

This is a group project but its due tomorrow and I've been left with trying to finish it all by myself so I really really need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether artillery scales as simply as that, but I don't know anything to the contrary.
For the fuel, you could assume the fuel energy has to be scaled up the same as the kinetic energy at muzzle exit.

1. What are the key factors to consider when scaling up a test cannon to a life sized cannon?

The key factors to consider are the size and weight of the cannon, the strength and durability of the materials used, the amount and type of propellant needed, and the safety measures that need to be put in place.

2. How does the design of a test cannon differ from a life sized cannon?

The design of a test cannon is usually simpler and smaller than a life sized cannon. This is because it is used for testing and experimenting, whereas a life sized cannon needs to be functional and able to withstand more pressure and force.

3. What are the potential risks and hazards when scaling up a test cannon to a life sized cannon?

The potential risks and hazards include explosion or malfunction of the cannon, injury to the operator or bystanders, and damage to surrounding structures or objects. It is important to properly calculate and test the cannon before use and to follow safety protocols.

4. How do you determine the optimal size and power of a life sized cannon?

The optimal size and power of a life sized cannon can be determined through calculations and simulations, as well as through trial and error testing. Factors such as the desired distance and accuracy of the cannon, as well as the availability and cost of materials, should also be taken into consideration.

5. Are there any regulations or permits required for scaling up a test cannon to a life sized cannon?

Yes, there may be regulations and permits required depending on the location and intended use of the life sized cannon. It is important to check with local authorities and obtain any necessary permits before building and using the cannon.