How does one get better at math/science? Is it even possible?

• Thread starter FancyNut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: LOT, of time in school. :( However, if you persist and keep working at it, I think you'll eventually get there. Thanks for listening.In summary, this young man is depressed and feels like he is not making any progress in his studies. He is hoping for some advice on how to overcome this problem.
FancyNut
yeah sounds like a stupid question, but I'm at a very important time in my life right now and very depressed. :(

All I know is to solve problems and read. The more problems you solve the better you get at something.

But is that enough? What if I'm stupid? Can one get 'smarter'? :(

Right now one of the courses I'm taking is being taught by a professor that happens to be non other than the anti-christ. I'm serious. So this course, electricity and magnetisim which happens to be the most important one for an electrical engineer, will be studied by myeslf using other texts and scrutinizing solutions manuals. *weep*

I just got a big hit in math too. I thought I was good but the test was a shock.

I want to get better. I want to learn. Science/mathematics are beautiful when understood. I know that from what I already learned but it's not enough.

I'm not sure what's the point of this thread but any thoughts are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you referred to your teacher as the "anti-christ", I'm unable to render any helpful advice.

I'm an atheist actually. Does that help? :rolleyes:

Nope, makes it worse.

If your goal is to gain a good understanding of physics and math, then I think patience and some degree of repetition will eventually get you there. Experience does help because many areas of physics and math are interconnected. Some principles, like symmetry, are universal. I feel that I've gotten "smarter" as I've gotten older.

If your goal is to be a theorist who works on the cutting edge, then lacking natural talent will definitely be a problem.

Last edited:
Another thing I'd like to add is this:

At least from my experience, I didn't really learn physics and math all that well as an undergrad. Yes, I got good grades in these classes, in general, but it was somewhat of a superficial understanding. Part of the problem is that you're so busy with different classes and other activities that you don't really have time to learn the material as well as you'd like. For me - the situation was rather that I learned just enough to solve the homework problems and do well on the exams.

So - it often takes at least another pass (or two or three) through the material to learn it. This tends to happen later on, in grad school.

And the really best way to learn the material well is to teach it to others (and/or really use it in your research). That's kind of why I've been coming to this site. I haven't had a chance to answer many questions due to limited time, but it is something I'd like to do more of, in order to better my own understanding of physics and math.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Juvenal.

Shockwave said:
Nope, makes it worse.

What the hell is your problem? Been talking to god too much lately?

FancyNut said:
yeah sounds like a stupid question, but I'm at a very important time in my life right now and very depressed. :(

All I know is to solve problems and read. The more problems you solve the better you get at something.

But is that enough? What if I'm stupid? Can one get 'smarter'? :(

Just take things one at a time. I too have a tendency to get frustrated in my calculus class because I sometimes have a difficult time understanding how to work the problems. Also, I'm not the fastest at doing mathematics either, rather taking it slow so as to not make as many mistakes and create gaps in my knowledge. You are not alone though, I end up calling myself stupid for not being able to answer problems, but doing so only makes my situation worse. It is indeed difficult to cope.

FancyNut said:
I want to get better. I want to learn. Science/mathematics are beautiful when understood. I know that from what I already learned but it's not enough.

Good. Excellent. You have the will and the determination to succeed. To me this is the only thing you need to be successful. As long as you have this attitude you'll be fine, just don't overstress yourself. I was dealing with something like this a week or so ago
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=66443. Sure, some people may be naturally talented at this sort of stuff, but sometimes working from the ground up on just drive alone can lead to a deeper understanding of the material.

Don't give up hope, never give up hope.

Last edited:
motai said:
Don't give up hope, never give up hope.

Hope is the only thing I have right now. :wink:

There's no way to go but forward, so I'm going. I'm just frustrated that I'm not moving fast enough and that I wasted a lot, and I mean A LOT, of time and energy in the past. Whether it's never too late or not doesn't matter to me as I can't give up now.

FancyNut said:
Hope is the only thing I have right now. :wink:

There's no way to go but forward, so I'm going. I'm just frustrated that I'm not moving fast enough and that I wasted a lot, and I mean A LOT, of time and energy in the past. Whether it's never too late or not doesn't matter to me as I can't give up now.

Great. In the words of Edward Albee, "Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly."

You may not see much progress now, but I am certain it will show up later. Slow progress is still progress. Just remember to keep your wonderment alive even when things get difficult. The last thing you need is to get frustrated with the subjects that you love.

Keep plugging away at it. It may be frustrating and difficult at times, but such is the nature of learning difficult concepts. It will be the path to your success. Good luck.

Last edited:
Just keep goin at it fancy. And most likely, if its E/M, its not the professor whos the antichrist, its the course lol.

Shockwave said:
Since you referred to your teacher as the "anti-christ", I'm unable to render any helpful advice.

:rofl: One of my students (who is also a PF member) said the same thing about me.

Well, don't hate the professor. Remember that the average physics professor is about twice smarter than a normal person. I mean, they are smart, but most have trouble explaining things out to people who never had any background on physics. My teacher is the same way. He does not speak English very well, and goes really fast. When I ask for worked out example problems, he said I was asking for too much help. So your best bet is upperclass men, or SPS.

My prof. is supposed to be the best at my school. He's pretty famous and known for being hard too.

My problem with him is that he doesn't 'teach' anything but just talks too much and writes everything so fast (I also can NOT for the life of me read his hand writing). It's like he's just reviewing physics for a bunch of senior students..

Also, he embarrasses and humiliates people in his class. I don't attend the class and try to study on my own because of that. I worry too much about attending because of anxiety and obessive thoughts about embarrassment so I just stay away .

FancyNut said:
Also, he embarrasses and humiliates people in his class. I don't attend the class and try to study on my own because of that. I worry too much about attending because of anxiety and obessive thoughts about embarrassment so I just stay away .

Try to be assertive in how you feel. That doesn't mean "don't take no guff from nobody", but make sure he knows how you feel.

A Ph.D. or a superior knowledge is not the only standard for teachers. Teachers should be confident in what they do, and carry around plenty of patience and empathy for students. Any lack of the latter two makes a terrible teacher. It's these particular teachers who carry high standards and vent out on the students if they don't follow the instruction.

Anywho, if you don't understand something then speak up. It's most likely when you're far beyond voicing the problem that it shows itself (i.e. a teacher embarassing you).

FancyNut said:

Thats definitely unacceptable. This isn't like elementary and high school where you just got to deal with your teacher. These people are in a sense, your employees and you have the right to file complaint against them. Unfortunately if he has tenure... there's not much you can do.. otherwise you should complain. Hell its your money

He has been in my school for decades I think. :rofl:

anyway I think it's mostly because of my anxiety that whatever he says is taken too seriously. Other students agree with me on the embarrassment thing but don’t really complain because he doesn't do it much. Like I said my anxiety makes things much worse. I still have his voice echoing "EVEN A BLITHERING IDIOT CAN DO THIS INTERGRAL" in my head whenever I study math lol but I'm trying to get over it by knowing the material and gaining confidence from there.

Teacher aside, if you want to improve your analytical ability and the like, take some time out of each day to really ponder the material you're learning. The key is to creatively think about different ways to use the equations and relationships you're taught and seek to apply them in different ways. In the process of taking things apart you learn how to put things together and solve new problems. It's kinda like excercising your brain. Good luck.

He embrasses you? There might be a solution to that problem then. File complaints, and see if you can argue to take that course as a Pass/Fail instead of credit.

I got better by doing lots and lots of practice problems (and by making up new practice problems just to see if I could stretch even farther).
When I struggled I was able to get help from Tom Mattson, who is one of the nicest and most helpful anti-Christs I have ever met. :biggrin:

Last edited:
FancyNut said:
My prof. is supposed to be the best at my school. He's pretty famous and known for being hard too.

My problem with him is that he doesn't 'teach' anything but just talks too much and writes everything so fast (I also can NOT for the life of me read his hand writing). It's like he's just reviewing physics for a bunch of senior students..

This is absolute BS! I don't care if the guy is a Nobel prize winner with an iq of 300! His job is to teach you. Humiliating people in class is unacceptable. It was unacceptable in high school and grade school, and it is sure as heck unacceptable in college. You're paying for his service.

I'm sorry you have to go through that crap. Learning should be enjoyable.

Do you know how other students feel about this guy? Maybe you can file a complaint.

Anyway... just do your best. That's all you can do. And if you do that much you should be proud of yourself.

I know it's probably hard not to be intimidated by this guy. But just remember... he's working for you. Not the other way around. His phd doesn't give him the right to do a half-*ssed job at teaching.

motivation is really key in studying mathematics or physics. motivation of the mind, and ofcourse confidence in the mind could lead you to solve great things. Finding beauty in mathematics is one of the ways that let's you have that key confidence. This may sound crazy, but let your mind explore and go beyond. Sometimes i feel that I am afraid to go beyond, maybe because it seems like too much too handle, i shouldn't think like this though.

another possibility: your professor may be frustrated at how poorly everyone is doing, because thwat amkes him feel like a faiolure as a teacher. try going tos e him in his office hours. many teachers are far better one on one than in a lecture setting. they also appreciate that you cared enough to come in.

I Can I Will

Well Pal just keep reminding urself "I CAN I WILL". It has helped me a lot all my life and its just a matter of time. Winner r not genrally the brilliant but those who r consistent. Consistancy is the name of the game. Just get hold of one thing understand it so good that u don't have to come back to it later on n then move to other... u ll be doing fine in just a short time n oh yeh EM is one of the tough nuts to crack.

YOU CAN YOU WILL

Ess ESS

I know exactly how you feel. In grade 6 I had so much trouble with math and science, but what I did was talk to my teacher on how I could become better, and practiced what I didn't understand, and my parents helped me. And now I'm really understanding math and science, in fact I'm got an 89% average i math now and an 95% average in science!

The teacher probably expects a certain baseline of knowledge that many in the class probably lack. In a case like that you must go to office hours. Otherwise, finding a good qualified friend/tutor that has the patience to walk you through the steps is the answer. Don't get discouraged. The willingness to struggle with it makes the learning that much better when accomplished. I'd be happy to help if you have specific areas that need help...I'm in the process of getting certified to teach Calc.

Form a study group and practice problem sets for fun. Have a couple classmates who are available from 2PM to 5PM every Wednesday and Friday? Then get together with them and do some problem sets with them every Wednesday and Friday.

If needed, you could even start a google groups so you could help each other out with math/physics problems.

juvenal said:
Another thing I'd like to add is this:

At least from my experience, I didn't really learn physics and math all that well as an undergrad. Yes, I got good grades in these classes, in general, but it was somewhat of a superficial understanding. Part of the problem is that you're so busy with different classes and other activities that you don't really have time to learn the material as well as you'd like. For me - the situation was rather that I learned just enough to solve the homework problems and do well on the exams.

So - it often takes at least another pass (or two or three) through the material to learn it. This tends to happen later on, in grad school.

And the really best way to learn the material well is to teach it to others (and/or really use it in your research). That's kind of why I've been coming to this site. I haven't had a chance to answer many questions due to limited time, but it is something I'd like to do more of, in order to better my own understanding of physics and math.

I can't be more agreeded on the part about teaching it to others! I personally sucked at math and physics, even I myself are a undergrad student I am sure a high achieved college students (a.k.a high school students) will do better than me if we had taken the same examination. Yet I'm aware from past experiences that if I tried to taught fellow students questions or topics that I've done or steps I took to come to that conclusion, even though I might not understand so well or even done it wrong. But the more I tried, the more I tends to understand it and the better I could do for that particular type of questions.

Also personally I believed that it is most important, well to me at least, when I attempt questions I write out every single steps that I took, even if it's somethings like 1*1 = 1, that way when I check my answer I could perciously trace back to where I've done wrong. Or more importantly let people who tried to help me (i.e. this forum) see where I did wrong and can pointed it out to me. Yes it will take more time to do one question, but hey this is part of learning.

1. How much time do I need to spend studying to get better at math and science?

The amount of time needed to improve in math and science varies for each individual. Some may need more time than others, depending on their current understanding and learning style. It is important to consistently practice and review concepts in order to improve.

2. Is it possible to get better at math and science if I'm not naturally good at it?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to improve in math and science even if you do not have a natural talent for it. With consistent practice and determination, anyone can improve their skills in these subjects.

3. What study strategies should I use to improve in math and science?

Effective study strategies for math and science include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and utilizing visual aids or mnemonic devices to remember key concepts.

4. Can I improve in math and science if I struggle with test anxiety?

Yes, it is possible to improve in math and science even if you struggle with test anxiety. One helpful strategy is to practice relaxation techniques before and during a test, such as deep breathing or positive self-talk. Additionally, seeking help from a therapist or counselor can also be beneficial in managing test anxiety.

5. What resources are available for me to improve in math and science?

There are many resources available for individuals looking to improve in math and science. These include textbooks, online tutorials and practice exercises, study groups, and tutoring services. Additionally, many schools and libraries offer free resources and support for students struggling in these subjects.