Question about equilibrium constant

In summary, the equilibrium constant for a reversible chemical reaction is expressed as Kc = [(A^a)(B^b)]/[(c^C)(d^D)]. However, the equilibrium constant can change depending on how the reaction is expressed, as shown by Kc1 and Kc2 for reactions 1 and 2, respectively. This can be attributed to the different stoichiometric numbers used in each reaction. The equilibrium constant is not an arbitrary formula, but rather a quantification of the extent to which a reaction is shifted towards the products or reactants. It can also be derived using chemical thermodynamics. The two reactions are not the same, as they involve different numbers of molecules.
brianparks
I am having serious difficulty understanding the concept of the equilibrium constant in a reversible chemical reaction. Maybe one of you all can help?

Suppose we have the following reversible chemical reaction:

1) aA + bB <---> cC + dD

The equilibrium constant for the reaction is said to be:

Kc1 = [(A^a)(B^b)]/[(c^C)(d^D)]

Now, suppose that we express the above reaction differently, as follows:

2) 2aA + 2bB <---> 2cC + 2dD

My understanding is that these two chemical reactions are the exact same reaction, just expressed with different stoichiometric numbers.

The thing that boggles me, however, is that the second expression of the reaction has a different equilibrium constant than the first.

Kc2 = [(A^2a)(B^2b)]/[(C^2c)(D^2d)]

How can the equilibrium constant (and its associated equation) express or quantify an actual feature of a reaction (i.e., the extent to which it is shifted toward the product or the reactants) if it changes depending on how you express the reaction?

What does the equilbrium constant (and equation) mean? Is it an arbitrary formula used for convenience in solving chemical equilibrium problems that could just as easily be defined differently? Or is it something more?

I have read that you can actually derive the equation using chemical thermodynamics, so it can't just be a arbitrary ratio.

This is really confusing me. Can someone please help?

Thanks,
--Brian

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brianparks said:
Suppose we have the following reversible chemical reaction:

1) aA + bB <---> cC + dD

The equilibrium constant for the reaction is said to be:

Kc1 = [(A^a)(B^b)]/[(c^C)(d^D)

It should be: [tex]K_c = \frac{[C]^c [D]^d}{[A]^a ^b}[/tex]

Last edited:
Good point. I screwed that up. Anyway, does my question make any sense?

What's the relationship between your two "separate" equilibrium constants?

In addition to what others have said, think about the molecular scale of things. The first would be a bimolecular reaction, the second would represent a reaction involving four molecules assuming uniform constants (four molecule ~simultaneous collision)! The two reactions are indeed different. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the two are the same, remember these equations represent what's actually going on.

1. What is an equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the symbol K and is calculated by taking the concentrations of the products and dividing it by the concentrations of the reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation.

2. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is significant because it tells us the direction and extent of a chemical reaction at equilibrium. If K is large, it means that the products are favored and the reaction proceeds in the forward direction. If K is small, it means that the reactants are favored and the reaction proceeds in the reverse direction. A value of K=1 indicates that the reaction is at equilibrium with equal amounts of products and reactants.

3. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the value of K also increases for an endothermic reaction (one that absorbs heat) and decreases for an exothermic reaction (one that releases heat). This is because an increase in temperature favors the endothermic reaction to absorb more heat, while it suppresses the exothermic reaction.

4. Can the equilibrium constant be altered?

The equilibrium constant is a constant value for a given reaction at a specific temperature. It cannot be altered by changing the concentrations of the reactants or products. However, it can be altered by changing the temperature or pressure of the system.

5. How is the equilibrium constant used in chemical calculations?

The equilibrium constant is used in chemical calculations to predict the concentrations of products or reactants at equilibrium. By knowing the value of K and the concentrations of some of the substances involved in the reaction, we can calculate the concentrations of the other substances at equilibrium. This is useful in determining the feasibility of a reaction and optimizing reaction conditions.