Chemical equilibrium vs pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction between A and B in a closed container at equilibrium and the effect of increasing pressure on the equilibrium. It is determined that the equilibrium constant, which is expressed in terms of pressure or concentration, is not affected by changes in pressure. The conversation also explores the calculation of the final equilibrium pressure when the system adjusts to a new equilibrium state. However, there is not enough data provided to solve the problem.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction : A⇔2B (⇔ stands for reversible). 1 mol of A and 2 mol of B are taken in a closed container at equilibrium. Suppose the pressure is increased, how much of B (by moles) will decompose to restore equilibrium ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, i know that reaction will be in backward direction in this case if pressure is increased.
A ⇔ 2B
Eq initial 1mol , 2mol
Eq final 1+x mol , 2-2x mol (2x mol of B decomposes to form x mol of A)
equilibrium constant = 22 / 1 = 4
it will not change with pressure
So, (2-2x)2 / 1+x = 4
x is comming out to be 3.
But if i see, at eq final the remaining moles of B is 2-2*3, -4 !
How is it possible ? Please help me rectify my mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:
equilibrium constant = 22 / 1 = 4

This is not the equilibrium constant, this is just the initial reaction quotient. You need the equilibrium constant value from some other source.

Likes Bystander
Even if it is at equilibrium initially, that is not the equilibrium constant. The equilibrium constant is not expressed using moles but pressures (or concentrations), and if the number of moles is not equal on both sides of the equation, pressure is a factor in the equilibrium constant. If partial pressure is P*mole fraction, then
K = (2P/3)2/(P/3) = 4P/3 where P is the initial equilibrium pressure
If P1 is the final equilibrium pressure, can you calculate the mole fractions and partial pressures (as functions of x), and an expression for the equilibrium constant?
Suppose the question is "you change the pressure to P2, and the system adjusts to a new equilibrium state." Can you find the new equilibrium pressure, then proceed as above?

Likes subhradeep mahata
Yes, the value of K will be same, so 4P/3 = (mole fraction of B * P2)2 / (mole fraction of A* P2)
But i think i need some help in calculating the final mole fraction.
Shall i proceed in the same way as i did in my original attempt ?

There is not enough data to solve the problem.

Yes i too think so, as i myself made the problem ! ;-)

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is the state in which the forward and reverse reactions in a chemical system occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products.

2. How does pressure affect chemical equilibrium?

The effect of pressure on chemical equilibrium depends on the type of reaction. For reactions involving gases, an increase in pressure will shift the equilibrium towards the side with fewer moles of gas, while a decrease in pressure will shift it towards the side with more moles of gas.

3. Can changes in pressure lead to a change in the equilibrium constant?

No, changes in pressure do not affect the equilibrium constant. The equilibrium constant is only influenced by temperature.

4. How does Le Chatelier's principle apply to changes in pressure?

Le Chatelier's principle states that a system at equilibrium will respond to a stress by shifting the equilibrium in the direction that minimizes the effect of the stress. In the case of changes in pressure, the equilibrium will shift to counteract the change in pressure.

5. How is chemical equilibrium affected by changes in pressure and temperature?

Changes in pressure and temperature can both affect the position of chemical equilibrium. An increase in pressure will favor the reaction that produces fewer moles of gas, while an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction. The combination of these factors will determine the final position of equilibrium.