Homemade Helicopter: For the People.

by Imop45
Tags: helicopter, homemade, people
Share this thread:
JerryL
Aug26-09, 04:31 PM
P: 22
Thank you Mr. Garvin.
I believe I'll start with the tricycle (simpler texts) and work my up the more advanced stuff.
I would be interested in what you think of this website.

http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodynamics/basics/

I have just started to study it and was wondering your opinion.
WhoWee I dont know your background or I would have asked for opinion also if you are learned in field I would like your opinion also.

Thank you for your time. I hope you don't think I am not wasting it.

Jerry L
JerryL
Aug27-09, 02:14 PM
P: 22
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
I love this review of the book:

HINT HINT, Jerry.

I would not insult or run you down for attemping to improve yourself in a field that I knew and you did not. Lay off.
I want to learn.
I have done nothing to you.
Cyrus
Aug27-09, 02:31 PM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by JerryL View Post
Can you do nothing but put someone else down? Does it make you feel superior?
I would not insult or run you down for attemping to improve yourself in a field that I knew and you did not. Lay off.
I want to learn.
There is a difference between attemping to improve yourself and boasting you're giong to build your own helicopter with no money or technical knowledge. I am fully willing to help people that are reasonable in their propositions. I gave you reasonable advice earlier, which you ignored. Aviation is not cheap. If you cant afford to play in this game, don't even bother. Stop being stubborn and listen, because I do fly and I do aircraft design. You have no idea what goes behind the scenes in terms of engineering analysis and tooling to make parts for things as simple as the chair you sit on inside the cockpit of a helicopter. This is one of those threads where if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Anyways, I told you I would help you on questions about theory if you made a thread specific to your question.
Jan2-10, 10:24 AM
P: 1
how can I make the helicopter main rotor blade & main rotor gear box?
Brian_C
Jan3-10, 03:27 AM
P: 261
1. Obtain an advanced degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering.

2. Spend 15+ years working in the field of helicopter design and manufacturing.

3. Become a master CNC machinist or hire a bunch of CNC machinists.

4. Quit your day job and spend 5-10 years designing, fabricating, and testing your helicopter design.
FredGarvin
Jan4-10, 11:20 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Quote Quote by 01012010 View Post
RonL
Jan4-10, 01:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 702
Quote Quote by 01012010 View Post
Not sure if this is a hit and run post, or if you are in Jr. High, nothing in your profile to indicate what you can do, or if you have any qualifications to justify an answer.

Brian C sure went overboard on requirments I know several people that can and some have built blades and gear boxes, using limited shop equipment and some parts from rear axels of junk trucks and cars.

Basic skills and study, along with access to the proper tools can produce almost anything
Now to qualify that statement, using tools properly requires a learning curve that can be quick for some and quite long for others.

Ron
minicoper
Jan4-10, 02:10 PM
P: 2
happenly come across this video clip, seems the chinese are one step ahead already, they have DIY their cheap helicopter and made it fly in air already, and according to it, the total cost is just around $4k. though looks very scary when in flying. :-)

http://hi.baidu.com/tblc/blog/item/d...11ad5762f.html
Cyrus
Jan4-10, 02:19 PM
Quote Quote by minicoper View Post
happenly come across this video clip, seems the chinese are one step ahead already, they have DIY their cheap helicopter and made it fly in air already, and according to it, the total cost is just around $4k. though looks very scary when in flying. :-)

http://hi.baidu.com/tblc/blog/item/d...11ad5762f.html
In what way are they a step ahead?
minicoper
Jan4-10, 09:17 PM
P: 2
the guy made the thing out there and it works, though looks dangerous, and we are still under discussion and in theory.... :-)
Cyrus
Jan4-10, 09:31 PM
Quote Quote by minicoper View Post
the guy made the thing out there and it works, though looks dangerous, and we are still under discussion and in theory.... :-)
These types of small helicopters have been around for well over ten years.

See this link:
[1] http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/light.html

Your statement about us 'still being in theory' is a puzzle to me. We (technical experts who have given advice, not the yahoos asking the questions) have simply said that this is a stupid idea to be attempted by someone without training in helicopter aerodynamics. No one is actually trying to calculate or prove anything here theoretically.
FredGarvin
Jan5-10, 11:21 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
The cheap, Chinese (redundant) helicopter link didn't work for me.

Aviation + Chinese = no friggin' way. With the amount of copying and downright fraud when it comes to spec'd hardware and components, there is no way I would even entertain the notion.
mugaliens
Jan5-10, 05:21 PM
P: 595
These types of small helicopters have been around for well over ten years.
Counting the Bensen autogyro, make that 58 years!
Cyrus
Jan5-10, 05:36 PM
Quote Quote by mugaliens View Post
Counting the Bensen autogyro, make that 58 years!
Note the inventor: Dr Igor Bensen
mugaliens
Jan6-10, 12:27 AM
Note the inventor: Dr Igor Bensen
Ok, noted. I'm curious as to why, for the "Bensen autogyro" has gone by that name, without the academic accolade, since it's inception. Even his company, Bensen Aircraft, exists sans the doctorate, similar to Freeman's "Dyson sphere." It's not the Dr. Dyson sphere, and having met the man while visiting a good friend from high school who attended Princeton, I'll say "wow" as in "extremely mentally adept," but I'm thankful he never lorded his credentials.

I never met Dr. Bensen.

Plans for homebuilders of his Bensen B-8 remain available to this day. Remarkably capable aircraft! I've flown two helos, a Hughes 500C (369HE), used as a sherrif's helo, and a UH-1N. The Huey was solid as a rock, although it tended to slowly beat you like a washing machine, while the 500 was a bit squirrely!
Cyrus
Jan6-10, 12:29 AM
The note was for the people thinking they should build one in their garage with no expertise.

The fact that its still in use says a lot because there are many home builds that fell by the waist side due to unsafe designs.
mugaliens
Jan6-10, 04:06 PM
The note was for the people thinking they should build one in their garage with no expertise.

The fact that its still in use says a lot because there are many home builds that fell by the waist side due to unsafe designs.
It's true: Amature-built aicraft experience experience approximately 3.5 times the accident rate of FAA-certified general aviation aircraft.

However, I'm not so sure that's a function of design or poor quality workmanship as it is the psyche of your typical amateur bilder! Most of them accept more risk than your average pilot, as evidenced by the fact they enter the home-build arena at all.

Having said that, I'm a very meticulous garage mechanic (i.e. I work on my own cars), builder of R/C models (though not since high school), and an aero engineer.

If I ever decided to enter the home-built market, I would rework all calcs, as I'm not about to sit my butt in an airplane that may contain hidden defects! But that's just me...

Register to reply