Differentiation under the integral sign

by hliu8
Tags: differentiation, integral, sign
Share this thread:
hliu8
Jan21-04, 05:20 PM
P: 3
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I would like to understand better the idea of differentiation under the integral sign. I read about it in
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html and Feynman's autobiography, about evaluating an integral by differentiation under the integral sign, but how exactly it is done.

Thank to everyone.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
himanshu121
Jan21-04, 11:34 PM
P: 658
How it is done

Consider
[tex]I(b)=\int_0^1 \frac{x^b-1}{lnx} dx[/tex]

now u can see clearly that after plugging the limits the variable x will vanish the only variable remains is b so the integration will be a function with b

While integrating w.r.t x u consider b as a constant similarly when differentiating w.r.t b u consider x as a constant
So , u have

[tex]I'(b)=\int_0^1 \frac{x^b lnx}{lnx} dx[/tex]
[tex]I'(b)=\int_0^1 x^b dx=\frac{1}{b+1}[/tex]
[tex]=> I(b)= \int \frac{1}{b+1} db +c[/tex]

If b=0 I(b)=0 => c=0

Therefore I(b)=ln(b+1)

So clearly it is afunction of b now with no x
Tron3k
Jan22-04, 09:00 PM
P: 45
Funny, I was just reading Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman and I was wondering about that also.

MathematicalPhysicist
Jan23-04, 09:01 AM
P: 3,221
Differentiation under the integral sign

Originally posted by Tron3k
Funny, I was just reading Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman and I was wondering about that also.
what is written about this in the book, is there a technical explanation about it?
Muzza
Jan23-04, 09:09 AM
P: 696
No, Feynman basically says that his "mathematical toolbox" (which included differentiation under the integral sign) was different from others', so he could solve problems others couldn't...

Register to reply