Limits, infinity, and my calculator

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite limits and the difference between the values displayed by a calculator for sec^2(pi/2) and sec(pi/2). The calculator replaces the undefined value for sec(pi/2) with the limit, while leaving the undefined value for sec^2(pi/2) as is. This is just a quirk of the calculator's operation and does not reflect the actual value of the function at pi/2.
GeoMike
I understand that the limit of sec^2(x) as x approaches pi/2 is infinity (increasing without bound), and I understand the meaning of this in terms of the epsilon-delta definition of an infinite limit.
I also understand why the limit of sec(x) as x approaches pi/2 doesn't exist.

What I'm a bit "sketchy" on is why my calculator (Ti-89 Titanium) displayes "infinity" as the value for sec^2(pi/2) and "undefined" for sec(pi/2) (not when evaluating the limit, but just when evaluating the function at that value). Why aren't sec^2(pi/2) and sec(pi/2) both displayed as "undefined"? Neither sec^2(x) nor sec(x) have a defined value at pi/2, do they? The fact that in one case the limit exists doesn't seem to have any effect on the value of either function at pi/2 (my book stresses the point that the limit of f(x) as x->a doesn't necessarily mean that f(a) = L, f(a) need not even exist -- which seems to be the case here)

I'm also confused because there is a bit of ambiguity in my mind concerning "1/0" and "infinity"

Can anyone help me understand this...?
-GeoMike-

Physics news on Phys.org
When your calculator evaluates sec(pi/2)^2 it replaces the undefined value with the limit. When your calculator evalutes sec(pi/2) there is no limit since the function goes to negative infinity on one side of pi/2 and to positive infinity on the other side, so the calculator just says undefined.

At least, that's how the calculator works. It's only a quirk of its operation. It has nothing to do with the function's actual value at pi/2, which is not defined in either case.

Thank you, that cleared a lot up for me. :smile:
-GeoMike-

1. What are limits and how do they relate to my calculator?

Limits are a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. In calculus, we use limits to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point. Your calculator can help you find limits by graphing the function and evaluating it at different input values near the point of interest.

2. Can my calculator calculate infinity?

No, your calculator cannot calculate infinity. Infinity is not a number that can be represented or calculated by a calculator. However, your calculator can give you a very large number that can be used as an approximation of infinity in certain calculations.

3. How can I use my calculator to find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function on your calculator, you can use the "Limit" function or the "Calc" menu, depending on the model of your calculator. These features allow you to input the function and the value of the limit, and your calculator will calculate and display the result.

4. Are there any limitations to using my calculator to find limits?

Yes, there are limitations to using your calculator to find limits. Your calculator can only provide an approximate value for the limit, and it may not be able to evaluate certain types of limits, such as those involving infinity or oscillating functions. It is always important to verify your results by using other methods, such as algebraic manipulation or graphical analysis.

5. Can my calculator calculate limits at infinity?

Yes, your calculator can calculate limits at infinity. You can use the "Limit" function or the "Calc" menu to find the limit of a function as the input approaches positive or negative infinity. However, keep in mind that your calculator can only provide an approximation of the limit and it may not be accurate for all types of functions.