Best way to self-study math

by proton
Tags: math, selfstudy
proton
Sep23-06, 10:40 PM
P: 356
I'm currently attending a community college and will probably double major in physics and math. I'm currently taking a multivariable calculus class but I still have a lot of free time since the class is based on a textbook full of exercises and formulas with little proofs.
So I was wondering what is the best approach to preparing for future math classes. Since I did not really understand Linear Algebra that well last semester (even though I got an A) and I did not understand Differential Equations well either, I'm thinking that I should go relearn them. The reason I had trouble understanding them so much was because I understood Calculus I very poorly before. But I self-studied Calculus I during the summer and now understand the basic concepts much better than before. I'm still trying to do more self-studying with Calc I, but now I'm trying to learn it more theoretically thorough the text by Apostol.
So my question is this: Should I be trying to go through Apostol's Calculus volume I rigorously or going through linear algebra/differential equations first?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
courtrigrad
Sep23-06, 11:33 PM
P: 1,239
What I would do is do through the linear algebra/differential equations. More breadth is better than depth. In analysis, you go deeper anyway.
chroot
Sep25-06, 02:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
The best way to learn may is indisputably to do many problems. Crack open the textbooks, and do every problem you can lay your eyes on. If you spot-check your understanding in Apostol, and find that you can solve most of the problems with little effort, go ahead and move onto something more challenging.

- Warren

g54321
Dec7-08, 10:06 PM
P: 1

Best way to self-study math

http://knowmathematics.blogspot.com/

Register to reply