How to calculate the pI of a peptide?

• Thread starter DDS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, to calculate the pI of a peptide, you will need to use the pKa values and your knowledge of titration. In this specific example, the pI can be estimated as the average of the pKa values for the C-terminal carboxyl group and the side chain carboxyl on the aspartic acid residue, resulting in a pI of 6.885. However, this is just an approximate value and other factors may affect the actual pI.
DDS
How to calculate the pI of a peptide??

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can shed some light on this question. I know the general idea behind it but i can't seem to put the nail in the coffin.

The sequence is ATLDAK and it asks to : Calculate its approximate pI

This is what i have so far:

...nT-A...T...L... D... A... K-... cT
pK...9.87......3.9...10.54...2.16

I know that there are 2 positive charges so this results in requiring to be deprotinated with two equivalents of base. I also know that the pI is given by the two amino acids that give the zwiterionic charge, or simply zero charge. However, how to identify those amino acids...?

Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the pKa and what you know about titration. In this case, you have correctly noted that the peptide will have a +2 charge at low pH. Adding 2 equivalents of base will therefore give a neutral species. Examining the pKa’s, we see that the first species to deprotonate will be the C-terminal carboxyl group, and the second species to deprotonate will be the side chain carboxyl on the aspartic acid residue. This will give us a neutral species between roughly the pKa of the aspartate residue and the N-terminal amine group. We can then estimate the pI as the average of these two pKa’s:
$$pI\approx\frac{3.9+9.87}{2}=6.885$$
Keep in mind that this is just a handy estimate for pI. Lots of different factors will affect it, but this quick estimate will usually get you in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Likes epenguin

1. What is the pI of a peptide?

The pI (Isoelectric Point) of a peptide is the pH at which the net charge of the peptide is zero. This means that the peptide is electrically neutral and will not migrate in an electric field.

2. How is the pI of a peptide calculated?

The pI of a peptide can be calculated by taking the average of the pKa values of the side chains of its constituent amino acids. To do this, the pKa values of the side chains need to be known. These can be found in a table or calculated using software.

3. What is the significance of knowing the pI of a peptide?

Knowing the pI of a peptide is important in many experimental procedures, such as protein purification and characterization. It can also help predict the behavior of the peptide in different pH environments and can aid in determining the optimal conditions for its stability and function.

4. Can the pI of a peptide be experimentally measured?

Yes, the pI of a peptide can be experimentally measured using techniques such as isoelectric focusing or capillary electrophoresis. These methods separate peptides based on their isoelectric points and can provide an accurate measurement of the pI.

5. Are there any online tools available for calculating the pI of a peptide?

Yes, there are several online tools and software programs available for calculating the pI of a peptide. These tools use algorithms and databases to predict the pI based on the amino acid sequence of the peptide.