Understanding Proof Writing: Why We Use 3) instead of 4)

In summary, the right hand side of 3) asserts that there exists a x such that it's a member of F and true for P(x). The right hand side of 4) asserts that there exists a x such that it's a member of F and true for P(x), or that there exists a x such that it's not a member of F and true for P(x). However, we do not wish to state 2. and 3. as true, for it would implicate that there exists a x that is not a member of F.
Salt
I have no idea how to type math symbols into here so it's all in the PNG attached.

I'm probably kind of dumb for not getting this but...

I understand that 1) & 3) are true. And the 2) is not right, as it means all x are members of F and true for P(x) when we mean all x that are members of F are true for P(x).
But why do we use 3) instead of 4)?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    924 bytes · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
(4) is not always a true statement. The right hand side of (4) would be true even if F were empty whereas the left hand side would not be. Notice that if x is NOT in F then "x contained in F implies P(x)" is a TRUE statement because the hypothesis is FALSE.

matt, that was pretty much what you said. Why did you delete it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cos when I looked more closely I decided that I couldn't decipher the small subscript on the LHS with any certainity.

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the size, I attached a bigger one in this post.

So from what I understand from reading the replies and scratching my head over the AND and IMPLIE truth tables.

right side of 3) asserts :
  • there exist a x such that it's a member of F and true for P(x)

right side of 4) asserts :
  1. there exist a x such that it's a member of F and true for P(x) , or
  2. there exist a x such that it's NOT a member of F and true for P(x) , or
  3. there exist a x such that it's NOT a member of F and NOT true for P(x)

However we do not wish to state as true 2. and 3. , for it would implie that there exist a x that is NOT a member of F. As the set representing "not F" may or may not be empty.

Anyway that's the reasoning I manage to arrive at.

Attachments

• Clipboard0.png
    Clipboard0.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 390
A=>B is precisely "B or not(A)".

What is the purpose of proof writing?

The purpose of proof writing is to provide a logical and rigorous argument to support a claim or statement. It is used in many fields of study, including mathematics, science, and philosophy, to provide evidence and demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem.

What are the key elements of a well-written proof?

A well-written proof should include a clear and concise statement of the claim or theorem, a logical sequence of steps and reasoning, and a conclusion that follows from the evidence presented. It should also be free of any errors or logical fallacies.

What is the difference between a direct proof and an indirect proof?

A direct proof is a method of proof writing where the conclusion is reached using logical steps from the given assumptions or axioms. An indirect proof, also known as a proof by contradiction, is a method where the conclusion is reached by assuming the opposite of what is to be proven and showing that it leads to a contradiction.

How can I improve my proof writing skills?

One way to improve proof writing skills is to practice regularly and read examples of well-written proofs. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to clearly define any new terms or concepts used in the proof.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a proof include making assumptions without explicitly stating them, using circular reasoning, and failing to clearly explain each step in the proof. It is also important to avoid using vague language and to carefully check for any errors or typos.