Are De Morgan's laws for sets necessary in this proof?

• I
  • Thread starter plum356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of implications in a proof, specifically in the context of sets and their complements. The question is raised whether the statement "x belongs to the complement of the union of A and B if and only if x does not belong to the union of A and B" is correct. The mentor confirms that this is a valid two-way implication and provides a tip for correctly using LaTeX in mathematical notation.
plum356
Good evening!
Have a look at the following part of a proof:
Screenshot_2021-12-04_21-05-46.png

Mentor note: Fixed the LaTeX
I don't understand the use of implications. Isn't ##x\in C_M(A\cup B)\iff x\notin(A\cup B)##? To me, all of these predicates are equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
plum356 said:
Good evening!
Have a look at the following part of a proof:
View attachment 293569
I don't understand the use of implications. Isn't $x\in C_M(A\cup B)\iff x\notin(A\cup B)$? To me, all of these predicates are equivalent.
Yes, these are all two-way implications.

For Latex you need double dollars or double hashes:$$x\in C_M(A\cup B)\iff x\notin(A\cup B)$$
Mentor note: Fixed the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes plum356
:welcome:

Likes plum356
PeroK said:
Yes, these are all two-way implications.

For Latex you need double dollars or double hashes:$$x\in C_M(A\cup B)\iff x\notin(A\cup B)$$
##\text{Aha!}##
Thank you. :)

1. What are De Morgan's laws for sets?

De Morgan's laws for sets are a set of rules that describe how to negate a union or intersection of sets. They state that the complement of the union of two sets is equal to the intersection of the complements of those sets, and the complement of the intersection of two sets is equal to the union of the complements of those sets.

2. Why are De Morgan's laws important in this proof?

De Morgan's laws are important in this proof because they allow us to manipulate the logical statements involving sets and their operations. This allows us to simplify the statements and ultimately arrive at a conclusion.

3. Can the proof be done without using De Morgan's laws?

Yes, it is possible to prove the same result without using De Morgan's laws. However, using these laws can make the proof more efficient and easier to understand.

4. How are De Morgan's laws related to Boolean algebra?

De Morgan's laws are closely related to Boolean algebra, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with logical expressions and operations. These laws are a fundamental part of Boolean algebra and are used to simplify logical expressions involving sets.

5. Are De Morgan's laws only applicable to sets?

No, De Morgan's laws can be applied to any type of logical statements involving operations such as union, intersection, complement, and negation. However, they are most commonly used in the context of sets.