Surface Area vs Volume in Biology

In summary: So I can’t see how it would be possible for vacuoles to form.|cells|:Prokaryotic cells are small for that reason, they don't have internal membranes and thus have to depend on their plasma membrane for processes to occur.Eukaryotic cells are much larger, they can be that because of the internal organelles and thus extra membranes that they have. Also, transportation systems have evolved in the cell where a molecule can hitch a ride on a structure like the subway.Originally posted by MoniqueProkaryotic cells are small for that reason, they don't have internal membranes
holly
Can someone pull a rabbit out of a hat for me & explain why just because an object (like a cell or an animal) gets bigger, its surface area doesn't get proportionally bigger? I made myself a little chart where I took a sphere & found the vol & the s.a. at 1 cm radius, at 2 cm radius, and 3 cm radius, then divided s.a. by the vol, the numbers were getting smaller, but can someone put it into words for me or can this only be understood mathematically? I just am not getting it intuitively...

Thanking you in advance...

Biology news on Phys.org
Assume a cell to be spherical. Its surface area A equals 4(pi)r2, and its volume V equals 4(pi)r3/3, where r is its radius. The surface area varies as the square of r, and the volume more rapidly as the cube of r.

What happens to the cell surface area and the cell volume when one changes the radius? By increasing or decreasing r, the cell experiences more rapid change in volume than surface area. To see this, just calculate V/A=r/3, showing that V outgrows (or outshrinks) A by the factor r/3.

Cells with large surface area transpire more, have more osmosis and more contact with their environment in general. Cells with greater volume metabolize more, have less motility, ingest and excrete (through the membrane) more.

For a particular cell, there is an ideal V/A, or r0 value.

Thank you, now it is clearer to me...a bit clearer...the more stuffing in the cell, the less material to cover such a large amount of stuffing...the less stuffing in the cell, the more material...proportionally speaking? I wonder why most cells are not flatter? Thank you again.

Prokaryotic cells are small for that reason, they don't have internal membranes and thus have to depend on their plasma membrane for processes to occur.

Eukaryotic cells are much larger, they can be that because of the internal organelles and thus extra membranes that they have. Also, transportation systems have evolved in the cell where a molecule can hitch a ride on a structure like the subway.

Originally posted by Monique
Prokaryotic cells are small for that reason, they don't have internal membranes and thus have to depend on their plasma membrane for processes to occur.

How would you explain this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomargarita_namibiensis
http://www.bacteriamuseum.org/species/thiomargarita.shtml

The discover a giant bacteria few years ago. It is called Thiomargarita namibiensis. There is another one from a surgeonfish guts called Epulopiscium fishelsoni.

maybe they elvolved organelles? just a guess
I'll look at the links later :)

Epulopiscium fishelsoni has membrane folding so the surface area is increased.

Thiomargarita namibiensis has a fluid-filled vacuole that represent 98% of the volume and it is use to store nitrate which oxidize sulfur.

Thanks for the help...as concerns the size of the cell dictating when it will divide, being that if it gets to a non-optimal size for the s.a./vol ratio, why, instead of dividing into two daughter cells (which I realize would then have a better s.a/vol ratio as concerns getting nutrients needed for its size), why, then, don't the membranes just begin indenting...getting lots of microvilli maybe? Then the volume inside can be supported better...why pinching into two with all the effort that takes with mitosis and so forth?

Vacuoles, plants use those a lot to increase cell size without compromising cellular function. Ever looked at onion membrane under a microscope? The cytoplasm is a very very thin layer against the plasma membrane, the rest is all a water filled vacuole :)

Originally posted by Monique
Vacuoles, plants use those a lot to increase cell size without compromising cellular function. Ever looked at onion membrane under a microscope? The cytoplasm is a very very thin layer against the plasma membrane, the rest is all a water filled vacuole :)

Is there a point during the cell's development when vacuoles begin to form, or are they present from the beginning of its existence?

Good question.. we can't make our organelles de novo, we need an existing organelle to make more. I guess the same holds true for vacuoles, but just maybe they can evolve from the other vesicles.

The function of vacuoles is starch storage or other nutrients. In the plant it creates the turgor needed to grow. If you don't give a plant water, the vacuoles will become smaller and the plant will wilt.

Originally posted by LURCH
Is there a point during the cell's development when vacuoles begin to form, or are they present from the beginning of its existence?

|plants|: They are present from the begging of cells life. Almost all plant cells originate from meristem cells (I’m afraid I don’t know proper English term for it-I’m thinking on apical and basal, let’s say, stem cells), which have many small vacuoles that they transfer to offspring (daughter cells).

But plant cells (in contrast to animal) have powerful ability to transform from cells of one to another tissue, with almost no limits (except death), but as I remember vacuole is always there …

1. What is the difference between surface area and volume in biology?

Surface area refers to the total area of all the surfaces of an object, while volume refers to the amount of space an object occupies. In biology, surface area and volume are important measurements for understanding the structure and functions of cells and organisms.

2. How does surface area affect the function of a cell?

The surface area of a cell is directly related to its ability to exchange materials with its environment. Cells with larger surface areas have a greater capacity for nutrient uptake and waste removal, allowing them to function more efficiently.

3. Why is the surface area to volume ratio important in biology?

The surface area to volume ratio is important because it affects the efficiency of cellular processes. As cells grow, their volume increases at a faster rate than their surface area. This decrease in surface area to volume ratio can limit the cell's ability to exchange materials, leading to potential problems for the cell's function.

4. What is the relationship between surface area and metabolism?

The surface area of an organism is directly related to its metabolic rate. As the surface area increases, so does the organism's ability to exchange materials with its environment, allowing for a higher rate of metabolism. This is why smaller organisms tend to have higher metabolic rates than larger organisms.

5. How does surface area to volume ratio affect the size of organisms?

The surface area to volume ratio has a major impact on the maximum size an organism can reach. As the organism grows, its volume increases at a faster rate than its surface area, making it difficult for the organism to efficiently exchange materials. This limits the size an organism can reach before reaching a point where it can no longer meet its metabolic needs.