How do oceans act as a buffer?

• Thread starter Astrophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of oceans as a buffer and the possibility of humans disrupting this equilibrium. The speaker mentions the importance of finding reliable information on the topic and expresses gratitude to those who can provide it.
Astrophysics
Does anyone have any reliable information about how oceans work as a buffer?

I'm not sure if 'buffer' is the correct word, but with buffer i mean a substance, which exists out of a weak acid and it's conjucated base in an equal scale.

I thank you in advance,

Yasha :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Buffer" is a very good word. In large part, the oceans are in equilibrium- adding, say, acid, causes some of the salts in the ocean (and also in the mud at the bottom of the ocean- a major storehouse of chemicals) to react and neutralize the acid.

I'm not saying its not possible for idiotic humans to overwhelm that system but the ocean is definitely our friend.

Thanks HallsofIvy, but what I meant was does anyone know a good site where I can find lots of information about this, because I need it before Friday (20-02-'04)

I thank you in advance,

Yasha

Related to How do oceans act as a buffer?

1. What is the role of oceans in buffering the Earth's climate?

The oceans act as a buffer for the Earth's climate by absorbing excess heat and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. This helps to regulate the Earth's temperature and prevent drastic changes in climate.

2. How do oceans help to mitigate the effects of climate change?

Oceans play a crucial role in mitigating the effects of climate change by absorbing large amounts of carbon dioxide and excess heat. This helps to slow down the rate of global warming and reduce the impact of greenhouse gas emissions on the Earth's atmosphere.

3. Can the ocean's buffering capacity be overwhelmed?

Yes, the ocean's buffering capacity is not infinite and can be overwhelmed by the increasing levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. This can lead to ocean acidification, which can have negative impacts on marine life and ecosystems.

4. How does ocean acidification affect marine life?

Ocean acidification can have a harmful effect on marine life by making it more difficult for organisms like corals and shellfish to build and maintain their shells and skeletons. This can disrupt the entire marine food chain and have far-reaching consequences for ocean ecosystems.

5. What can be done to protect the ocean's buffering capacity?

To protect the ocean's buffering capacity, it is important to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and limit the amount of carbon dioxide entering the atmosphere. This can be achieved through sustainable practices and reducing our carbon footprint. Additionally, protecting and preserving marine ecosystems can also help to maintain the ocean's buffering capacity.