Circuit with a capacitor problem

In summary, the questions revolve around the concept of current in a series circuit with a capacitor and the application of Kirchoff's closed loop law to a circuit with a capacitor. In DC circuits, the amount of charge that can flow is limited by the amount stored in the capacitor, and in AC circuits, charge can flow back and forth between the source and the capacitor. When the capacitor is fully charged, the current is determined by the charge on the capacitor and the potential difference between the plates. Leakage may also occur, but is not a major concern.
broegger
I've just been reading about capacitors and I have some (stupid?) questions... First, how can there be a current in a (series) circuit with a capacitor when there is an insulating material or vacuum between the plates (or whatever makes up the capacitor)?? i don't get it.. Second (pretty much the same as the first), how can you apply Kirchoff's closed loop law to a circuit in which there is a capacitor - it isn't closed when there can be no current through the insulator or vacuum in the capacitor??

I know I posted this twice, but just encountered the College Level Help forum..

Physics news on Phys.org
First off:

How can there be a current in a circuit that is in series with a capacitor. For DC circuits, the amount of charge that can flow in a circuit like that is effectively limited by the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor. (This is effectively the reverse of discharging the capacitor)
In an AC circuit things are a bit more complicated. The capacitor can store charge, so that when the source inverts, charge will flow from the source to the capacitor, or from the capacitor to the source.

I'm not familiar with Kirchoff's closed loop formula, but hopefully the comment above was helpfull.

thanks for the answer.. no charge can flow through a capacitor, but there's still a current in the circuit determined by the charge on the capacitor?? i.e. when the capacitor is fully charged I = 0??

Technically it's when the potential difference between the capacitor plates is equal to the potential difference on the capacitor leads. ('Fully charged' might require a higher potiential difference that the circuit supplies.)

There is also leakage, butt you shoudn't have to worry about that.

Related to Circuit with a capacitor problem

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work in a circuit?

A capacitor works by charging and discharging. When connected to a power source, one plate of the capacitor becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, storing energy. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it releases the stored energy, providing a temporary surge of electricity.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit?

The role of a capacitor in a circuit is to store and release electrical energy. It is commonly used in electronic devices to filter out noise and stabilize voltage, as well as in timing circuits and power supplies.

4. What are some common problems associated with capacitors in circuits?

Some common problems associated with capacitors in circuits include failure due to overheating, incorrect voltage ratings, or aging. Capacitors can also cause issues if they are connected in the wrong direction, fail to discharge properly, or have poor connections.

5. How can I troubleshoot and solve capacitor problems in a circuit?

To troubleshoot and solve capacitor problems in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to test the capacitor's voltage and resistance. If it is not functioning properly, you may need to replace it with a new one. It is also important to ensure that the capacitor is connected correctly and has the appropriate voltage rating for the circuit. Additionally, checking for any loose connections and properly discharging the capacitor before handling it can help prevent problems.