Proving Curvature Circle Theorem: c = \kappa=\frac{1}{r}, E(s)=C(s)+rN(s)

In summary, by using the formula E(s) = C(s) + rN(s) and showing that |C(s) - E(s)| = r, we have proven that c is a circle of radius r.
americanforest
Here is the problem:

Show that if [tex]c[/tex] is a curve with [tex]\kappa=\frac{1}{r}[/tex] (r is a positive constant) that [tex]c[/tex] is moving on a circle of radius r.

He gives a hunt to use the formula [tex]E(s)=C(s)+rN(s)[/tex]. I don't know where he got this equations and I have no idea what the function E is supposed to represent. I'm sure C and S are position and arclength respectively. So first I showed that [tex]\frac{dE}{ds}=0[/tex] with the definitions of T and N vectors as related to curvature K.

Then he gives a hint to show [tex]absolute value(C-E)=r[/tex] which I have no idea how to show, and then from that to explain why that makes C a circle or radius r?

I know that the equation for a circle is nx^2+ny^2=r^2 but I don't see where that will get me here.

Any help?

I know this isn't in the correct format but this is more of a rigorous proof than a problem with given information...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:To show that c is a circle of radius r, we must first prove that the absolute value of (C - E) = r. We can do this using the equation E(s) = C(s) + rN(s), which states that the position vector E is equal to the position vector C plus the normal vector N multiplied by the radius r. Taking the absolute value of both sides yields |E(s)| = |C(s)| + |rN(s)|. Since the normal vector has a magnitude of 1, this simplifies to |E(s)| = |C(s)| + r. Then, subtracting |E(s)| from both sides gives |C(s)| = |E(s)| - r, which can be rewritten as |C(s) - E(s)| = r. Now that we have shown that |C(s) - E(s)| = r, we can use this result to show that c is a circle of radius r. Recall that the curvature of c is given by \kappa = \frac{1}{r}. This implies that the radius of curvature of c is r. By definition, the radius of curvature of a curve is the radius of the circle that best fits the curve at a given point. Therefore, since the radius of curvature of c is r, it follows that c is a circle of radius r.

1. What is the Curvature Circle Theorem?

The Curvature Circle Theorem states that the curvature of a curve at a given point is equal to the inverse of the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point. In other words, the curvature (c) is equal to the reciprocal of the radius (r) of the osculating circle. This relationship can also be expressed as c = .

2. How is the Curvature Circle Theorem proven?

The Curvature Circle Theorem can be proven using the fundamental theorem of curves, which states that the curvature at a point is equal to the rate of change of the unit tangent vector. By integrating this expression, we can derive the formula c = . Additionally, the theorem can be proven using geometric proofs and mathematical equations.

3. What is the significance of the Curvature Circle Theorem in mathematics?

The Curvature Circle Theorem has significant implications in many areas of mathematics, including differential geometry, calculus, and physics. It allows us to better understand and analyze curves and their properties, and it has applications in various fields such as engineering, robotics, and computer graphics.

4. How does the formula for curvature relate to the osculating circle?

The osculating circle is the circle that best approximates a curve at a given point. Its radius is equal to the inverse of the curvature at that point. This means that the smaller the radius of the osculating circle, the greater the curvature of the curve at that point. The formula c = directly relates the curvature and radius of the osculating circle.

5. Can the Curvature Circle Theorem be applied to all types of curves?

Yes, the Curvature Circle Theorem can be applied to all types of curves, including straight lines, circles, and more complex curves. However, it is important to note that the theorem is only valid at a specific point on the curve, and the radius of the osculating circle may vary at different points along the curve.