T-cyclic Operator - linear algebra

by redyelloworange
Tags: algebra, linear, operator, tcyclic
Share this thread:
redyelloworange
Mar17-07, 05:01 PM
P: 20
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let T be a linear operator on a vector space V, and suppose that V is a T-cyclic subspace of itself. Prove that if U is a linear operator on V, then UT=TU if and only if U=g(T) for some polynomial g(t).

2. Relevant equations

They suggest supposing that V is generated by v.
and choose g(t) such that g(T)(v) = U(v).

3. The attempt at a solution
I could get some coherent stuff for one way..

=> assume U=g(T), prove UT=TU.

first, {v, T(v), T^2(v), ... , T^n-1(v)} is a basis of V (thus V is n-dimensional).
U=g(T)
let y=U(x) choosem g(t) such that y = g(T)(v).

then UT(x)=U(T(x)) = U(T(a_0v + a_1T(v)+...+a_n-1T^n-1(v)) = U(a_0T(v) + a_1T^2(v) + ... +a_n-1T^n(v))
= a_0UT(v) + a_1UT^2(v) + ... +a_n-1UT^n(v)

then TU(x)= T(U(x))

(where x is a linear comb of basis vectors, x=a_0v + a_1T(v)+...+a_n-1T^n-1(v))

thats as far as i got.. =(

<=

the other direction is more difficult for me.. i'm not really sure where to get the proper expression for g(t) from at all.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
AKG
Mar17-07, 06:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,586
if U = g(T), then UT = TU is obvious, you don't need to worry about v's or x's or anything, it has nothing to do with V being T-cyclic, you don't use the hint, etc. For the other direction, use the hint. Since V is T-cyclic, there does indeed exist some v such that v generates V. U(v) is an element of V, and since v generates V, U(v) is indeed equal to g(T)(v) for some polynomial g. Let g be this polynomial. Now just show that for any x in V, g(T)(x) = U(x). Remember that in this direction, you may assume UT = TU.
holezch
Mar14-10, 11:47 AM
P: 253
Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread, but I'm doing the same question.. I know we can assume UT = TU for one direction, but I can't make out what that's supposed to mean..
The two operators commute, so am I supposed to work something from the fact that they commute? ( some property that makes them commute..)

thank you

holezch
Mar14-10, 11:11 PM
P: 253
T-cyclic Operator - linear algebra

I tried a couple of promising things, but I'm just blindly stabbing at it . How would I go about coming up with a plan for this? I need to know something about UT = TU... :S

thanks

Register to reply