Rotational Motion of a block of mass

In summary, to find the angular acceleration of the pulley and the tension in the cord, use Newton's Second Law and Newton's Second Law of Rotation. The equations to use are F=ma and Torque=Ialpha. From these equations, we can determine that the angular acceleration of the pulley is equal to the tension multiplied by the radius of the pulley divided by the moment of inertia of the pulley. The tension in the cord can be found by using the equation ma=mg-T, where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and T is the tension in the cord. The radius of the cord around the pulley should be kept constant at 0.032 m.
simplygenuine07

Homework Statement

A block (mass = 2.4 kg) is hanging from a massless cord that is wrapped around a pulley (moment of inertia = 1.5 x 10-3 kg·m2), as the figure shows. Initially the pulley is prevented from rotating and the block is stationary. Then, the pulley is allowed to rotate as the block falls. The cord does not slip relative to the pulley as the block falls. Assume that the radius of the cord around the pulley remains constant at a value of 0.032 m during the block's descent.
Find (a) the angular acceleration of the pulley and (b) the tension in the cord.

Homework Equations

Newtons Second law and Newtons second law of rotation
F=ma and Torque=Ialpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using this equation, but i get the wrong answer no matter what I do.
T=mg+ma
a=Lalpha

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it must be

ma=mg-T

because the tension is opposite to the gravitational pull...
and where is the pic?

ma=mg-T => a=g-T/m (1)
also, a=alpha*radius of pulley and alpha= Torque/inertia = T*radius of pulley/inertia of pulley
=> a=radius^2*T/inertia (2)
from 1 and 2, hopefully we can find the answer. I'm not sure why they mention the radius of the cord?
Tell me if it works out, I didn't have time to actually solve it myself.

Yes thankyou, that helped alot!

FAQ: Rotational Motion of a block of mass

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as wheels, spinning tops, and planets orbiting around the sun.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves the movement of an object around an axis, while linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the distance of the object from the axis remains constant, while in linear motion, the distance from the starting point to the end point changes.

3. How is the rotational motion of a block of mass calculated?

The rotational motion of a block of mass can be calculated using the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque applied to the object, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is dependent on the object's mass and shape.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a block of mass?

The rotational motion of a block of mass can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the distance of the object from the axis of rotation, the applied torque, and the moment of inertia. The shape and distribution of mass in the object also play a role in its rotational motion.

5. How is rotational motion used in real-life applications?

Rotational motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in vehicles with wheels, amusement park rides, and sports equipment like a spinning basketball. Understanding rotational motion is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.