What is the time to reach 98% of terminal velocity?

In summary, the conversation discussed a differential equation representing a falling object and finding the time it takes for the object to reach 98% of its terminal velocity. The solution involved using the equilibrium solution and solving for time, resulting in an answer of 5 * ln(50).
rockytriton
Ok, there's a differential equation that is:

dv/dt = 9.8 - (v/5), v(0) = 0

to represent a falling object. So the solution ends up being

v = 49(1 - e^t/5)

and the equilibrium solution (terminal velocity) is v = 49.

Now I have a problem that says "find the time that must elapse for the object to reach 98% of its limiting velocity"

To do this, I am doing the following:

terminal velocity * 98% = the equation...
49 * 0.98 = 49(1 - e^t/5)

div by 49...
0.98 = 1 - e^t/5

move 1 over and multiply both sides by -1...
1 - 0.98 = e^t/5

use ln...
ln(1 - 0.98) = t/5

mult by 5...

5 * ln(1 - 0.98) = t

so:
t = -19.56

now... in the book's solution, it states:
T = 5 * ln(50) ~= 19.56

So, where is this 50 coming from? And my answer looks to be right except for the sign, where did I go wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It should be v = 49(1 - e^(-t/5)). Your solution has the velocity exponentially growing.

thanks! I knew it would be something stupid that I missed. I still don't get where they got the "5 * ln(50)" from though...

0.98 = 1 - e-t/5

e-t/5= 1-0.98= 0.02= 2/100= 1/50
That's where the "50" is from.

Now -t/5= ln(1/50)= -ln(50) so t= 5 ln(50).

What is a "Physics type math problem"?

A "Physics type math problem" typically refers to a problem that involves using mathematical equations and principles to solve physical phenomena, such as motion, energy, or forces.

What are some common formulas used in "Physics type math problems"?

Some common formulas used in "Physics type math problems" include Newton's Laws of Motion, the Law of Conservation of Energy, and the Universal Law of Gravitation.

How do I approach solving a "Physics type math problem"?

The best approach to solving a "Physics type math problem" is to first identify the known variables and the desired unknown variable. Then, choose the appropriate formula to use and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown variable.

What is the significance of units in "Physics type math problems"?

Units are crucial in "Physics type math problems" because they represent the physical quantities being measured and help to ensure that the calculations are accurate and meaningful. It is important to pay attention to unit conversions and use the correct units in the final answer.

How can I check if my answer to a "Physics type math problem" is reasonable?

One way to check if your answer to a "Physics type math problem" is reasonable is to estimate the answer beforehand using known values or common sense. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and units can also help to ensure the accuracy of the answer.