Help Needed: Analyzing Limit as x Approaches Positive Infinity

In summary, the problem is that as x approaches pos infinity, ln(square root of x + 5) divided by ln(x) becomes insignificant. This means that the limit as x approaches pos infinity is ln(x) - 25/x, which is zero.
redsox5
The problem is

The limit as x approaches pos infinity ln(square root of x + 5) divided by ln(x)

In the numerator only x is under the square root. I'm having trouble getting to this answer. If someone can take a look I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
remember ln(sqrt(x)) = 1/2 ln(x).

well you can multiply by sqr. rt of x -5/ sqr rt of x -5

that leaves you with ln x-25/ x(sqr rt of x + 5)

mathwonk's hint intentionally disregarded the 5 within the argument of the log. Intuitively, as x grows large the 5 within the log becomes insignificant and can be ignored. More rigorously, the natural log of (sqrtx + 5) is asymptotic to log (sqrtx), which means that the difference of the two for a given value of x goes to zero as x goes to infinity, basically [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{ \ln (\sqrt{x} +5)}{ \ln \sqrt{x}} = 1[/tex].

If you want to take your route, you would need to multiply by the log of (sqrtx - 5) instead.

if you need to formally show this do you know l'hopital's rule?

no, i don't know that rule yet. But gib, the actual problem has ln(x) in the denomator, not the sqr. rt. So does that make it 0?

well on a calculator i come up with 1/2
can someone tell me the best way to go about solving this?

I know the denominator doesn't have the sqrt mate, but your missing my point. I am saying, The numerator can be replaced with ln(sqrtx) instead of the whole thing, because of the reasons i said before: the plus 5 becomes insignificant as x goes to infinity! If you just neglected the 5, which you have shown you can do, take mathwonks post into account and take this problem down!

.5 got it thanks

Did someone delete my post? ;0

Related to Help Needed: Analyzing Limit as x Approaches Positive Infinity

1. What is a limit as x approaches positive infinity?

A limit as x approaches positive infinity is a mathematical concept that refers to the value that a function approaches as the input (x) gets closer and closer to positive infinity. It is denoted as "lim x→∞ f(x)".

2. How do you find the limit as x approaches positive infinity?

To find the limit as x approaches positive infinity, you can use the following steps:

• Substitute positive infinity for x in the function.
  • If the resulting expression is a finite number, that is the limit.
  • If the resulting expression is undefined or infinite, you can use algebraic techniques or L'Hospital's rule to simplify and find the limit.

3. What does it mean if the limit as x approaches positive infinity is undefined?

If the limit as x approaches positive infinity is undefined, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input (x) gets larger and larger. This could happen if the function oscillates or if it has a vertical asymptote at positive infinity.

4. Can the limit as x approaches positive infinity be negative?

Yes, the limit as x approaches positive infinity can be negative. This means that the function approaches a negative value as the input (x) gets larger and larger. It is also possible for the limit to be positive or zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the limit as x approaches positive infinity?

The concept of finding the limit as x approaches positive infinity is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum height a projectile can reach, the maximum speed a car can attain, or the long-term growth rate of a population or investment.