Computing the Universe: Exploring a Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of imagining the universe as a computer. The processor's instruction set is compared to the laws of physics in the universe, and its computing power is compared to the volume of space. The storage capacity of the universe is also discussed, along with the idea of uncertainty in measurements. Finally, the conversation touches on the possibility of the universe holding more data than the sum of its particles and how phenomena like black holes would fit into this concept. The conversation also references related topics and acknowledges that this idea has been proposed before.
martix
There's been a concept I've been thinking about for quite some time.
Lets imagine the universe was a computer. How would it look like/function.
Now a computer has some characteristics and I wonder if you can apply these to the universe. Though I'm not sure which corresponds to what.
For example the processor's instruction set - its probably the laws of physics in the universe - like creating a homogeneous space and the like.
Now a processor also has computing power, but I can't imagine what its universal alternative is(maybe volume of space? like a cubic inch has that many FLOPS of power)...
Also - storage capacity - how many bytes does it take to record every physical property of a particle(without any uncertainties - the data is there, even if we can't measure it)?
Which also gives me an idea - maybe there's a pipeline or something that allows you to transmit only so much data, leaving some of it behind thus leaving some uncertainty as to the exact measurement of certain properties.
Also - say the universe has that many particles each having that many storage capacity. Can a system of these particles possibly hold more data than their individual sums?
And what would phenomena like black holes, wormholes, etc. be like inside this "universal" computer?

Space news on Phys.org
http://wwwphy.princeton.edu/~kirkmcd/examples/QM/lloyd_prl_88_237901_02.pdf

Related topic:
http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/QM/lloyd_nature_406_1047_00.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so someone did actually come up with such a wacky idea before me... nice to know I'm not the only nutjob around.:rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:

1. What is "Computing the Universe"?

"Computing the Universe" is a concept that explores the idea of using computational methods and technology to better understand the complexities of our universe.

2. How is this concept relevant to scientific research?

This concept is relevant to scientific research because it allows scientists to gather and process vast amounts of data, create simulations and models, and uncover new insights and patterns in the universe.

3. What are some potential benefits of "Computing the Universe"?

Some potential benefits of this concept include gaining a deeper understanding of the universe, making new discoveries and advancements in scientific fields, and potentially solving complex problems and mysteries.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to "Computing the Universe"?

Yes, there are limitations and challenges to this concept, such as the need for advanced technology and computational power, potential biases in data and models, and ethical considerations.

5. How can "Computing the Universe" impact our daily lives?

This concept has the potential to impact our daily lives by providing new technologies and advancements, improving our understanding of the world around us, and potentially leading to practical applications in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.