Setting Up a Non Catalytic Reaction beteen air and methane

In summary, the group has been assigned the task of setting up an oxidation reaction between methane and air without any catalyst present. They are considering using a spark as a heat source and are using Pyrex equipment to prevent any potential catalytic reactions. They are also planning to use a sensitive gas chromatograph to measure the reaction products and will be using research grade pure air and methane. However, there is uncertainty about the effectiveness of this setup at a relatively low temperature of 70 degrees Celsius.
Smx_Drummerboy
Setting Up a Non Catalytic Reaction beteen air and methane!

Hello, I'm in a group and we have been given the task of setting up an oxidation reaction between methane and air (different ratios), and seeing what the products are. We know what the products will be, but we don't know how to set up this experiment in such a way that there is no possible catalyst present. I've read all that I can find on this sort of thing, but most reactions that relate to what I'm looking for use some sort of catalyst.

Any Suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about using a spark?

(ok, I'm not a chemist...)

It's not a combustion reaction...well, it can't be in our case, we are just using a heat source to heat a chamber. It will be at atmospheric pressure, but the temperature is like 70 Celsius or something like that.

I have studied catalyst behaviors with methane oxygen systems up to 1200 degerees F. I built my reaction chamber of Vycor tubing, with integral inlet/outlet/instrumentation ports. I know for fact that Vycor was not catalytic.

If you are only going to 70 Celsius you should be fine with Pyrex equipment. If you are concerned about a thermocouple or thermistor being catalytic, include an integral Pyrex thermowell.

I hope you have a very sensitive gas chromatograph to measure your reaction products, I would be surprised to see much of anything at so low a termperature.

Also make sure you are capable of pulling a vacuum of < 10 mTorr on your system and use research grade (99.999 or better) pure air and methane.

and I agree with Drachir I am not sure what you will see. What kind of diagnostics are you using?

1. What is a non catalytic reaction between air and methane?

A non catalytic reaction between air and methane is a chemical reaction that occurs between methane (a hydrocarbon compound) and oxygen (a component of air) without the use of a catalyst. This reaction results in the production of carbon dioxide, water, and heat.

2. How is a non catalytic reaction between air and methane different from a catalytic reaction?

A catalytic reaction involves the use of a catalyst, which is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. In contrast, a non catalytic reaction does not require a catalyst and usually occurs at a slower rate.

3. What are the conditions necessary for a non catalytic reaction between air and methane to occur?

A non catalytic reaction between air and methane requires a sufficient amount of oxygen, a source of heat or energy, and a suitable temperature and pressure. The reactants must also be able to come into contact with each other, such as in a gas mixture or in a liquid solution.

4. What are some potential applications of a non catalytic reaction between air and methane?

Non catalytic reactions between air and methane are commonly used in industrial processes for the production of energy and chemicals. These reactions can also be used for the synthesis of various products, such as methanol, formaldehyde, and acetic acid.

5. Are there any safety concerns when setting up a non catalytic reaction between air and methane?

Yes, there are potential safety hazards involved in setting up a non catalytic reaction between air and methane. Methane is a flammable gas and can pose a fire or explosion risk if not handled properly. Additionally, the reaction may produce carbon monoxide, which is a toxic gas, and precautions should be taken to ensure proper ventilation and safety measures are in place.